Azure Damsel Aggression With a New Fish

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! This is a pretty infamous topic that's been talked about a few times, but I wanted to ask people's thoughts and experiences anyway. My 3 year old royal gramma didn't survive a tank move, so I purchased another one recently that's pretty teeny, probably about 1-1.5" and my azure damsel went kind of crazy when I first put the gramma in, but the gramma was holding its own for a while. At some point the damsel did bite chunks out of some fins but nothing too crazy and would occasionally go over and tail slap the gramma. At this point its the 2nd day, the gramma has found some shelter holes and the damsel only goes after it if the gramma is in the open, but doesn't try to bite or tail slap... just a proxy intimidation (the gramma retreats to the hole so that could also be why as there's no chance to bite / slap). My question is will I need to pull this damsel and sump it to let the gramma get established? or does it sound like the aggression will go away with time. The fish is coming out to eat but only what floats by the hole its living in, its not able to explore without having the damsel on its butt but its also not being relentlessly aggressive. Any thoughts / opinions are welcome here, even damsel slander. Thanks

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t keep damsels for this reason. It may benefit all involved to remove the damsel, rearrange the scape, let things settle and then reintroduce the damsel. If you can’t remove him, a significant scale rearrangement can still work.

Are there plans for more fish?

Because this will keep happening with anything added to the tank.

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t keep damsels for this reason. It may benefit all involved to remove the damsel, rearrange the scape, let things settle and then reintroduce the damsel. If you can’t remove him, a significant scale rearrangement can still work.

Are there plans for more fish?

Because this will keep happening with anything added to the tank.
I don't really have anymore plans to add fish no... just replacing the one I lost. Weirdly enough though the damsel wasn't aggressive against a cardinal I added before. I'd like to keep him in there and won't rescape so since he isn't being relentlessly aggressive, time fixing it would be best case otherwise I'll have to pull it

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank? I had an azure that claimed a whole 20 gallon tank to itself, tried to kill every fish I put in after.

The only solution I found was to put a divider in the tank and keep the fish separated for a few months, when I pulled the divider out they kept to their sides of the tank.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They won’t do after larger fishes most of the time. Replacing fish is adding new fish. If you really like this damsel, then don’t add small fish. If you just want damsel then trade this for another damsel. The NEW one will not be as bad initially.

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size is the tank? I had an azure that claimed a whole 20 gallon tank to itself, tried to kill every fish I put in after.

The only solution I found was to put a divider in the tank and keep the fish separated for a few months, when I pulled the divider out they kept to their sides of the tank.
Its a 65g / 36" x 22"

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So quick update... its day 3 and the damsel seems to be allowing the gramma to stay out in the open now. I haven't seen aggression once today SO I'M GONNA STAY HOPEFUL WITH THIS ONE. I might have lucked out with this one

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a chance it will work itself out. I added a yellow tail as my last fish. A couple years later , after I thought I was done adding fish, I added a tailspot blenny and for the first week or two whenever the bleeny went for the gsp island the damsel got aggressive. Now the blenny can lay in the gsp with the damsel inches away and not seeming to care.
820564FB-443C-4C07-91D5-9F1678AEF479.jpeg

OP
OP
T

TinkL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grammas are wimps but when backed in a corner would whoop a chrysiptera damsel into its place. They're a strong fish
Agreed... my old gramma that died beat the hell out of the damsel when first added for a few days... so maybe its a subconscious grudge to beat the hell out of the new gramma while he can lol

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back