Random Brittle Star

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cheems
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Cheems

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 3, 2024
Messages
171
Reaction score
38
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I recently went to reefapalooza and I bought a coral frag and it had a brittle star on it. I’m not a big fan of the look of them and I don’t really know what type it is and if it’s a nuisance.

I’m not really sure what to do with it, is it good or bad? I would feel bad just killing it but if it’s a problem then I suppose I could

IMG_9453.jpeg
 
personally never had a problem with them
but then again mine stay in the rocks and wave at me and i think its funny @ISpeakForTheSeas might know the exact kind?
 
personally never had a problem with them
but then again mine stay in the rocks and wave at me and i think its funny @ISpeakForTheSeas might know the exact kind?
I'm not sure the exact kind, unfortunately (I need to research brittle star ID more), but it's extremely likely that it's harmless/beneficial:
I've got a lot of learning to do with brittle stars (I need to go through and figure out some of the higher taxonomic diagnostic characteristics for them, but the few I've looked at ID'ing in depth require some pretty intensive photography to ID).

Anyway, most brittle stars in the hobby are totally fine/keepers - the only exception I can recall seeing so far is the Green Serpent Star, Ophiarachna incrassata, which is known to eat sleeping fish.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new