Random growth on zoa frag

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any idea what these fluffy growth are on my frags? Are they part of the zoas? Not sure if they are choking them or affecting their growth in any way. But curios to know what they are.
20200602_083516.jpg
20200602_083527.jpg

Haoayu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo, they look like a certain type of sponge. From the looks of the growth, it is taking up real estate of the zoas and choking it's growth. While sponge are good filter feeder, I'd rather have a plug of rastas and scrape off the sponges. :)

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a sponge. Ive had it before. Doesnt do anything. Its gone now my starfish eats sponges in my tank.

Although that plug id probly dip in hydrogen peroxide and kill the sponge

Ohhbubbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a sponge. Ive had it before. Doesnt do anything. Its gone now my starfish eats sponges in my tank.

What kind of starfish do you have that eats sponge?

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea what it is.

I bought it as a RED fromia from petco lol but i knew it wasnt a red fromia. It was grey with stripes.. i found its name one time but i had to dig and dig and dig.

Lemme see if i can find the name of it.

Here is a pic of it. It eats sponges. And leaves my corals alone. Only coral it has eatem was my purple cepitulara aka related to xenia. But it hasnt touched my sps. My lps. Or zoas. And i habe 75 diff corals.

I watch him eat he will stop in spots on the rock and sit there for like an hour and when he moves the sponge is gone. He must eat other things too though.. not sure what lol. But ive had him for about 15 months and i never feed him anything directly
20191013_150754.jpg

Reeffragger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found its name. Its a type of nardoa star fish not sure the exact species. Look it up though. Nardoa star fish on google and youll see ones like mine.

Aparently its rare in the aquarium trade... Someone picked it up and shipped it to petco as a red fromia but its deff not.. got it for 10$

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just got myself some hydrogen peroxide.

How much of it should I use to dip?

OP
OP
J

jy808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering what you ended up doing? I have the same problem with one of my zoas.
Refer to my most recent post. Get yourself some hydrogen peroxide. it helped. I also just manually scrap it off.

Back