OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip complete. I see a few things that look suspicious, but I suspect them not to be any of the pests we've discussed....

Thought it was a spider, but I think it is just some bubble algae.
PostDip-1.jpg

Same as above, different angle.
PostDip-2.jpg

A lot of little specs here. Most look to just be sand if you zoom in. Another brown blob like above.
PostDip-3.jpg

There are some strange things in this pic. What's that in the top left? I don't know. What are the two things on the bottom right? See next images for closer shots.
PostDip-6.jpg

Looks like a flatworm?
PostDip-7.jpg

I don't know what this one is. Maybe a dead aiptasia?
PostDip-8.jpg

Close up from two angles of the frag after dipping.

PostDip-4.jpg
PostDip-5.jpg

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive always wondered what makes their "mats" shrivel and thin out like your last pic? I have some kraks that do this. So instead of an actual mat, theres a small string of mat from one polyp to the other.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh that is a problem. I have one solution to them that is 100% but up to the owner :)
ebff38063b30af2bd2abaa79827a3fd3.jpg

Ive always wondered what makes their "mats" shrivel and thin out like your last pic? I have some kraks that do this. So instead of an actual mat, theres a small string of mat from one polyp to the other.
I've always just chalked it up to the type of polyp. Some grow a thick mat, others seem to have just loose connections to each other.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are getting a little off topic on the aiptasia, but here's a few videos we've talked about in the past...

This last one shows Berghias ignoring them. Hence my thought they are not aiptasia. They grapple a bit, but it ignores it.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok hold on and think hard about this.
I know this may sound crazy but I have found during multiple tests by slowly raising the water temperature to 96 degrees will make these guys release into the water column allowing them to be caught easily. They look like little blobs floating around. They just don't like anything above 95 degrees.
I bet your thinking.. what?? but yes and tank survival is higher than you think.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok hold on and think hard about this.
I know this may sound crazy but I have found during multiple tests by slowly raising the water temperature to 96 degrees will make these guys release into the water column allowing them to be caught easily. They look like little blobs floating around. They just don't like anything above 95 degrees.
I bet your thinking.. what?? but yes and tank survival is higher than you think.
Todd.... you are a crazy man. lol! I just have one fish in there so removing her wouldn't be tooooo hard. I'm not committing to anything yet, but then what? They collect in my filter sock? How many corals am I going to lose? Will my clam tolerate it? What about the berghias?

Also this is an effective solution: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-aiptasia-x.html?sku=205235&gclid=CObs_9-W9NACFQoxaQodNvUHhw

I have used it in the past with great results.
I think I am well beyond saving with Aiptasia-X. :) I have an old bottle of Joe's Juice I bust out every now and then, but I need something systemic or predatory to even make a dent.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I know it's my crazy mind always at work hence my most favorite all time people.. einstein
(wait.. I also use bleach, dang it I am odd)
Let put it this way.. ALL my zoanthids didn't care (slow is key)
Not sure about clams as I have never had one.
The nudies, not sure how susceptible they are to temp.

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HA!

How slow? How long does it need to stay there? I could take the clam and clown both out for it, depending on how long we are talking I can setup a tank for them.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was raising the temp over 7 days. It took just a day or 2 for them all to release. Perfect for a sock to catch. I didn't have many in the tanks I tested with so I just used a net.
If you have any 500ml beakers and a hot plate you can test these guys out with a small rock piece :)

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was raising the temp over 7 days. It took just a day or 2 for them all to release. Perfect for a sock to catch. I didn't have many in the tanks I tested with so I just used a net.
If you have any 500ml beakers and a hot plate you can test these guys out with a small rock piece :)
Oh yeah. My hot plate and beaker set. I knew I kept those for a reason. Ha! :)

I would want to test this theory before committing to it. Let's see what Amazon has to say about this...

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light bulb! Baby bottle warmer. My wife would kill me if I touched my daughter's but I could get one.

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Todd.... you are a crazy man. lol! I just have one fish in there so removing her wouldn't be tooooo hard. I'm not committing to anything yet, but then what? They collect in my filter sock? How many corals am I going to lose? Will my clam tolerate it? What about the berghias?

I think I am well beyond saving with Aiptasia-X. :) I have an old bottle of Joe's Juice I bust out every now and then, but I need something systemic or predatory to even make a dent.
the problem with aiptasia x is that you need a relatively large one to be able to inject it into. Thats why I dont like it.
Pep shrimp took care of all of mine in DT and sump. I havent seen one for months.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
holy smokes dude!
Seriously! Most are happy as can be. They tend to come back after losing a bunch of polyps it eventually just stops. Does that seem like an animals behavior? Wouldn't a nudi just mow down the whole colony before moving on?
No, there sap suckers and let many live. with that sweet new lens you'd see babies surrounding the stalk and sucking sap. they ignored 6 kinds of zoas in my tank and ate 6 others.
mine was a fairly low level infestation.
but yea it seems a chemical or predation event.

Snorty2668

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my phosphate gets a little high my zoas start melting try a water change

OP
OP
TheEngineer

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd probably go the pep shrimp route next I suppose. Just not looking forward to the 76 day QT

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back