Rating - 0%
0   0   0

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This version is still used....I've been using it for about ten years, and continue to use it....and is the same or very similar to the majority of commercial two part products out there.

That said, a "new" DIY version is available that potentially makes additions truly two part...and can boost pH. That can be found HERE.

Either way, you still need to determine consumption, and an explanation of that can be found HERE.

OP
OP
Jmas4

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe its still current. I use the alkalinity part still to this day.

Thanks. Glad to know it's still viable.

This version is still used....I've been using it for about ten years, and continue to use it....and is the same or very similar to the majority of commercial two part products out there.

That said, a "new" DIY version is available that potentially makes additions truly two part...and can boost pH. That can be found HERE.

Either way, you still need to determine consumption, and an explanation of that can be found HERE.

Thanks. I'll read into that.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Those are all great articles and I’m guessing these are all a much more economical version of the Red Sea Foundation elementals I’ve always used.

Forgive me if I’ve missed it, but what is the dosing rate of the 2 part, for example X to raise alkalinity by X per litre/gallon etc ?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy's formula is what BRS used for their two part, so simply use any of the calculators and pick BRS two part to figure out amount needed to raise dKh by whatever.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy's formula is what BRS used for their two part, so simply use any of the calculators and pick BRS two part to figure out amount needed to raise dKh by whatever.
Thanks Paul, I’ll have another read through it all and the calculations, it’s very informative

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As folks mentioned, the recipe is still ok and BRS and Dr Foster and Smith sell ingredients, and at least at BRS, those may be higher purity.

There is also a new version around that raises pH even more, using sodium hydroxide for the alk part.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The baking soda and Epsom salt are fine. I do not know if the other two are adequately pure without extensive testing, or without a substantial number of folks using them saying that worked well for them.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back