Randy Holmes-Farley Saved my Freeking Life! Sorry, MY Reefing Life!

Chris Hufham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a better post over here.

Randy saved my reefing life with a passing statement when he was helping a guy with his reef years ago on a forum. I was a Forum stalker then. Now I found R2R, and you guys are great. Yeah, I had the big tank, big skimmer, sump, 2 part dosing, wave makers, controller ect.. Had beautiful corals too, but it was killing me having to check everything all the time. Then BOOM Randy said "your water is never better than when you first make it." What a true statement I thought. I was going to test it. By the way, never test Randy because he's a Boss. I bought a 3.5 gallon plastic tank, eheim 50w heater, tetra 40, with 12 cartage filters; one for each month, 2 pounds of live sand, (wife makes me buy white sand), 1 dry rock, 2 buckets of salt mix for a whole year, and I had a MH light that I hung over the tank. Thankfully now there are cheap full spectrum leds.

I started dosing 1 gallon from my 40 gallon trash can of salt water every day. 155 ml timed every hour for 24 hours. New water in, old water runs out. Feed corals as offen as you like and no testing! Only check The salinity every day and top off a tiny bit of water if needed. I could now relax and aford to buy the high end acro frags that you can grow into colonies. You can put a lot of frags in a 3 gallon tank and when they grow out, WOW.

This is not for everone. Though some of you may be already be doing this. So If you're losing it with your reef, give it a try. Cost less than a good skimmer.

Next Project is growing an acro frag into a mini colony in a shot glass Using the run off water and light spillage from the 3 gallon tank.

I will never confirm or deny I wrote this. Signature _____Chris_______

PS: I still love looking at big reefs.

Happy Reefing
SAM_1112.JPG
SAM_1111.JPG
SAM_1113.JPG
SAM_1114.JPG

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy deserves a life time achievement award for the work he has done in this hobby!

I think continuous waterchanges are fantastic if you have the space. I think theres good reason the marine labs use this method with their livestock helping to avoid the effects of a closed system.

OP
OP
Chris Hufham

Chris Hufham

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy deserves a life time achievement award for the work he has done in this hobby!

I think continuous waterchanges are fantastic if you have the space. I think theres good reason the marine labs use this method with their livestock helping to avoid the effects of a closed system.

I wonder if the marine labs were lurking the forum when Randy was helping that guy!!!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 17 54.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.2%
Back