5 gallon experiment

CjAmaryllis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started in October with my 40 gallon. I did all the necessary cycling and went through the uglies. Algae, dinos, diatoms, hydroids, etc. It's just now got some Coralline algae taking off. I test waters weekly and do water changes to keep things stable. All parameters are where I want them.

Then, I set up this 5 gallon experiment tank. I was going to put stuff in it that I didn't want in the main tank. Hitchhikers, Kenya tree, GSP, pulsing Xenia, etc. I didn't cycle it and all it has is a little wave maker, a heater, plastic decorations with no rock, and a cheap light. I've tested the waters once in about 2 months and pH was low so I just added red ogo. Haven't tested anything since or done a single water change. Just top off with fresh water, throw some food in, and ignore it.

Somehow, this tank has absolutely taken off. Coral growth is good, no outbreaks of anything, tons and tons of bugs of different sizes, and Coralline algae growing on the glass 2 months in.

I'm just laughing at the irony of it. I've got one tank I've babied and maintained very well, and one I've heavily neglected, and somehow the neglected one has matured faster. Just goes to show there's many ways to reef with success.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I started in October with my 40 gallon. I did all the necessary cycling and went through the uglies. Algae, dinos, diatoms, hydroids, etc. It's just now got some Coralline algae taking off. I test waters weekly and do water changes to keep things stable. All parameters are where I want them.

Then, I set up this 5 gallon experiment tank. I was going to put stuff in it that I didn't want in the main tank. Hitchhikers, Kenya tree, GSP, pulsing Xenia, etc. I didn't cycle it and all it has is a little wave maker, a heater, plastic decorations with no rock, and a cheap light. I've tested the waters once in about 2 months and pH was low so I just added red ogo. Haven't tested anything since or done a single water change. Just top off with fresh water, throw some food in, and ignore it.

Somehow, this tank has absolutely taken off. Coral growth is good, no outbreaks of anything, tons and tons of bugs of different sizes, and Coralline algae growing on the glass 2 months in.

I'm just laughing at the irony of it. I've got one tank I've babied and maintained very well, and one I've heavily neglected, and somehow the neglected one has matured faster. Just goes to show there's many ways to reef with success.
Nano tanks are able to mature faster and build biodiversity per square centimeter quickly and as long as you top off regularly so that salinity is not completely out of range they do well particularly if you’re only keeping softies in there. Show us some pictures! Would love to see your experiment!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 122 81.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back