RANT ON....TEST KITS

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it ok if I rant a little?

How can test kits give such different results? I'm talking a 100ppm calcium difference and a 2.0 DKH difference.

I want my sps to do well but it stinks when all these test kits give such different results!!

Rant off...for now....

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

How can test kits give such different results? I'm talking a 100ppm calcium difference and a 2.0 DKH difference.

I want my sps to do well but it stinks when all these test kits give such different results!!

Rant off...for now....
It could be the user [emoji15]
Try Salifert and be sure you pull back the syringe to the correct ml...about 8.4...and end of the syringe at 1ml.

Oh, this reminds me I'm due for a test.[emoji6]

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It could be the user [emoji15]
Try Salifert and be sure you pull back the syringe to the correct ml...about 8.4...and end of the syringe at 1ml.

Oh, this reminds me I'm due for a test.[emoji6]

Could be but I'm performing the test precisely how the instructions read and even watching videos.

azbigjohn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think watching the BRS nitrate test videos opened my eyes a lot to the variability of the tests. When the $3400 photometer was inaccurate until all new processes were put into place, how do we expect our eyes to be any better?

There is something to be said for using the tests as guides, but trusting our coral and tanks to direct us.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rant off...for now....

There is much to be said for a more scientific approach to reef keeping, yet it's only as good as the data. Garbage in, garbage out. Given all the difficultly getting good numbers (bad test kits, bad probes, bad calibration solutions, bad regents, user error, etc.), no wonder people (including very talented reef keepers) fall back to look and observe. Bad information is almost always worse than no information.

With that said, from reading the forums here, some test kits give more problems (Red Sea Mg, Hanna Ca) than others (with Salifert being boring but reliable).

Last edited:

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best and most reliable test I have .......are my eyes. I do use test kits but don't rely on them for accurate tests.

Labridaedicted

Wrassetastic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea pro or similar titration. They're time consuming and expensive, but you will get accurate and consistent results since its not comparing shades (which is not an accurate way to measure since its subjective to each user).

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the tips. Still mad....lol

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have learned to just stick with one type of test, and watch for fluctuations more than the actual numbers. Once you know your tank is looking good, test and, from there, just try to maintain those numbers. Obviously that only works as long as the results are consistent from one test to the next.

BlueCursor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hanna colorimeter for Alk (accurate and easy), calcium (accurate and easy if you use a digital pipet for that 0.10 ml of sample water), and nitrate (accurate and easy but cost $300 for kit).

In short, once I threw money at the Hanna Ca tester by having a super accurate way to measure out 0.10 ml of sample water, and threw money at a nitrate colorimeter, everything was simple and accurate. I can test a known sample and be within 3 ppm for Ca and 0.01 ppm for nitrate, 3 ppm for Alk. Gotta love that.

Bacon505

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
been using api cal and alk kit since i started the hobby 3 years ago and lots of claims that its garbage. Works for me and with the price tag of $3-6 arent that bad. Just my 2cent. It might not be an acurate kit but it give me a general idea to monitor my alk and cal.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Rant off...for now....

I have seen the same thing. I had salifert test kits that were over 100 ppm different from each other more than once and more than 2 dkh apart. One even had a reference solution and was way off. I always test my old kit to the new and it is amazing the difference from one kit to another.

I now use several test kits.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is why i made a standard:

1.135g of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) in 1 liter distilled water = 10dkh

Ive got 1 liter and it will last a long time. I check all my kits with it.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the tips. Still mad....lol
My LFS store showed me a brand he will only use. ELOS, reason why. It is the ONLY test kit that uses NIST. I have a nitrate and pro phosphate kit in the mail now.
  • NIST validation: each batch of elos reagents is validated using NIST (National Institute of Standard and Technology) samples

ksanfranfan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Rant off...for now....
It can be frustrating for sure . I've compared results in the past with different kits and other hobbyists kits, all with differing or close but not the same results. I just rely on weekly water changes and continuous dosing and the use of my cheap test kit for accuracy that seems to meet my corals demands.
been using api cal and alk kit since i started the hobby 3 years ago and lots of claims that its garbage. Works for me and with the price tag of $3-6 arent that bad. Just my 2cent. It might not be an acurate kit but it give me a general idea to monitor my alk and cal.
I've been in the hobby much longer and I'm in the same boat as you. I use my api test kits regularly for calcium and alk. I know they get a bad rap but I can get a general idea of my parameters and shoot to keep them there .

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ELOS Nice! I haven't tried their test kits. Let us know easy it is t
He fully tested two water samples in less than a 1/2 hour. We were shooting the ship the whole time. Plus he was filling water jugs for another customer. Also telling his assistant what to do. So juggling 3 things at once. I guess I will feel stupid only doing one thing if I can't do it right.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 36 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back