Rapid Nitrate Reduction / Large Water Change

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently I came into an issue getting water for my tank that led to not having a water change done in over a month. For the first two or three weeks things seemed fine, I was still making sure to dose calcium magnesium etc. and the corals for better or worse seemed alright. Last week, a few of my euphilia started showing major signs of tissue recession. I went ahead and made the arrangements to be able to mix my own salt at home and went to town changing water yesterday. Because of how high the nitrates were (50+ppm ) I decided to do two large water changes 4-6 hours apart. (40-50% each) This brought my nitrates down considerably back into what I would consider acceptable levels for my system (10-20 ppm). Fast forward to the next day, 2 of my 3 torches/hammers are showing significant improvement. I'm talking double of the polyp extension and plumpness. Well the torch that I've had the longest (and is in the process of splitting its one head into three) isn't doing any worse but it's not nearly as much of an improvement as the other two.

This finally leads into my question, is it dangerous / harmful to do such large water changes so close together and change the nitrate level that rapidly? I use red sea coral pro salt mixd to 1.025 and use Red sea foundation skeletal elements ABC+ to maintain parameters between water changes. After the salt mixed everything calcium alkalinity magnesium wise matched the levels before the water changes. So I didn't drop or raise any of those significantly just the nitrates.

OP
OP
S

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any before pictures of what they lookd like yesterday, but here is the three of them now 20210517_132746.jpg 20210517_132758.jpg 20210517_132812.jpg 20210517_132833.jpg

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you matched the ALK, CALC, SG and temp, you shouldn't have any issues with the large water change. Give the torch time, especially if you are already seeing improvements in other corals.

OP
OP
S

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you matched the ALK, CALC, SG and temp, you shouldn't have any issues with the large water change. Give the torch time, especially if you are already seeing improvements in other corals.
Awesome, thats a relief to hear. Almost all of the other corals showed collosal improvement this morning when the second water change was done late last night.

One question on how the torch will recover, does the tissue extend back down to cover the same amount of skeleton or does the skeleton just continue to grow while the tissue stays in place? I just kind of want to know What signs of improvement to look for in regards to the receding tissue

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, thats a relief to hear. Almost all of the other corals showed collosal improvement this morning when the second water change was done late last night.

One question on how the torch will recover, does the tissue extend back down to cover the same amount of skeleton or does the skeleton just continue to grow while the tissue stays in place? I just kind of want to know What signs of improvement to look for in regards to the receding tissue
From looking at your pictures, I really don't see tissue recession. It just looks like the polyps have retracted and should return to normal once the torch is happy again. You don't have a problem unless you see skeleton without any tissue covering it. If you think you see that, take the best picture you can under white light and post it here and someone can help you out.

OP
OP
S

s0mthinG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From looking at your pictures, I really don't see tissue recession. It just looks like the polyps have retracted and should return to normal once the torch is happy again. You don't have a problem unless you see skeleton without any tissue covering it. If you think you see that, take the best picture you can under white light and post it here and someone can help you out
The tissue recession is on the yellow christata. If you look at where the skeleton meets the polyp there's a good 1/4" where the skeleton is clean and white, not covered in algea/organics. That space used to be covered by the edge of the polyp. I'll look for a older picture for comparison.

This is probably about a month ago
20210407_182000.jpg

This is a close up of the receding area Screenshot_20210519-100847_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20210519-100834_Gallery.jpg

And this is when I first got it in January, note how far down twords the green the edge of tissue is Screenshot_20210519-100932_Gallery.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back