Rare "Ghost" White Color-morph Yellow Tang Video

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Video of a "ghost" white yellow tang shot in the wild. Starts with a review of many tangs seen in Hawaii.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtiaiesuKrYlwg6aJWeiR0g/videos

Welcome to R2R!

We're happy to have youtubers here sharing content but we do ask that you embed the video here so that it can be viewed on our forum! You still get the credit for the view and you can still ask people to subscribe to your channel with a link as well. :)

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh and good videos will be shared by us on our FB page and via email. :)

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Which island was that shot on? We dove the Big Island a year or so ago and didn't see any unicorn or sail fin tangs. I was wondering if they are not evenly distributed though out the islands.

Edit : Never mind...don't want to reveal the location of the color morph tang.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen Shot 2018-01-25 at 12.23.05 PM.png

Still shot courtesy of Nezmo's You Tube video.

Welcome to R2R!!

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great video! Which island was that shot on? We dove the Big Island a year or so ago and didn't see any unicorn or sail fin tangs. I was wondering if they are not evenly distributed though out the islands.

Edit : Never mind...don't want to reveal the location of the color morph tang.
I thought it best also not to give too much info as this would be a very valuable fish. I have seen both of those tangs you mentioned at the Big Island, however.
It's been my experience that you can see different species on different reefs, I guess the distribution is however the ocean tides distributes the fertilized eggs, so it can be very random. I usually see sailfins and unicorns either individually or in adult pairs. They don't usually form the larger schools like yellows or convicts, so they could be there but you didn't happen to see the limited number.

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

We're happy to have youtubers here sharing content but we do ask that you embed the video here so that it can be viewed on our forum! You still get the credit for the view and you can still ask people to subscribe to your channel with a link as well. :)
I will be happy to comply, sorry, I didn't know.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it best also not to give too much info as this would be a very valuable fish. I have seen both of those tangs you mentioned at the Big Island, however.
It's been my experience that you can see different species on different reefs, I guess the distribution is however the ocean tides distributes the fertilized eggs, so it can be very random. I usually see sailfins and unicorns either individually or in adult pairs. They don't usually form the larger schools like yellows or convicts, so they could be there but you didn't happen to see the limited number.

I suspect you're right. We saw many Chevron tangs on every site but some friends on a different island said they didn't see any.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please come back often! I became immersed in your Mantaray Island series, all of it so very beautiful! Great to see the natural reef in high definition, with beauties like those Richmond's wrasse, and All! Those! Parrotfish!!

Thanks for sharing!

~Bruce

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please come back often! I became immersed in your Mantaray Island series, all of it so very beautiful! Great to see the natural reef in high definition, with beauties like those Richmond's wrasse, and All! Those! Parrotfish!!

Thanks for sharing!

~Bruce
Thanks so much Bruce, We are just getting started. We have been shooting videos for almost 20 years, and as a pro video editor, my time was always spent on other's video. I'm retired, and finally getting around to doing the final edits and color grading to show our work. I'm putting a few other videos from our current 10 on R2R, and am currently working on a series from Rarotonga in the Cook Islands where they have a lot of twin spot, sunset, and 3 spot wrasses from juvi's to female harems, to the males and supermales. I'm also working on one that shows some of the amazing transformations such as the yellowtail wrasse, and the oriental sweetlips, so stay tuned, or better yet subscribe to our channel, and you will be notified.

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vacationed in both Big Island & Oahu and saw every imaginable fish BUT the Achilles Tang ... ;Drowning

Sad life ... :(
I never saw a lot of Achilles tangs. They seem to pair up like the sailfin tangs instead of schooling like convicts. The pairs I saw stayed close to a rather small territory, and had a convenient hiding place that they would venture out from to feed. I guess you had to be in the right place at the right time. We spend around 100 man-hours in the water when we do a trip, so we have more exposure.

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was really upsetting when I opted not to join my brother in law & nephew for another swim ... that’s when they saw & filmed several
Achilles Tangs at the far end corner of Haunama Bay!! :(

I’d wanted to kick myself so badly but then I’m not as flexible :D

OP
OP
Nezmo

Nezmo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be so hard on yourself. That's what I like best about the ocean, you never know what you are going to see, or not see. It leaves something to be surprised about next time. Although seeing an Achilles in just the right light when you get a look at that purple face... That's why we started shooting video, just seeing it was not enough, we had to bring it back with us.

tank121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just saw this exact same fish while snorkeling today! Kicking myself for not taking the GoPro this time out.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 50 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back