Rare???? What is truly rare?

reef-lover

Reef Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this mushroom is rare... noone has this that I know of.

aquaticobsessions434a.jpg
WOW! Sweet mushroom

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yea put me on the list for one of those shrooms!

Acro76

Cherry Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny how a sponsor and a member posted pics of nice colorful corals. I think most truly rare corals in this hobby are probably considered "ugly" by most people. A lot of rare corals are brown.

Scientists would not consider your envy orange zoanthids rare, even if only a few existed in the world. Yes, it's an interesting phenotype, but it's still a zoanthid!! The gene pool of zoanthus is not going to suffer if it were lost. The genes needed to get that color are still out there somewhere.

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about that mushroom is that it really is rare ... I don't have it. There isn't a coral farm or tank that has one that anyone knows about.

It's being held by a "coral farmer" He only has two. He's going to propagate them and sell them ... there is no price for them and he may only put one out every 3 months. I can see the pricetag easily being $300+ per mushroom. It's insane but people will pay for the infamous "A.O. Super Limited Edition Crayola Mushroom" aka the "A.O. Crayola Corallimorph."

I'm really glad that I'm friends with the Coral Farmer.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BUMP for more comments!

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Rev, I talked to the owner of the mushroom and he is in the process of propagating it, actually he has two of them ... He has a tank at home that turned a regular red mushroom into six in a little over a month .. if that's the case with this one he's sitting on gold.

Has anyone seen a mushroom like this and what do you think it's value is?

He's having a hard time coming up with a price for it.

There are some Yumas that sell in the $300 range and this is just as original looking.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he would be hard pressed to sell a discosoma for more then $50 a polyp no matter how original or exotic it looks. The reason alot of the Yumas are priced that high is because of wholesale cost associated with them. So for a LFS or on-line company to make any profit they have to at least double what they pay for them.....I would easily pay $50 a polyp for that mushroom, I would pay that in a second........

NapoliNewJersey

Achilles Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he would be hard pressed to sell a discosoma for more then $50 a polyp no matter how original or exotic it looks. The reason alot of the Yumas are priced that high is because of wholesale cost associated with them. So for a LFS or on-line company to make any profit they have to at least double what they pay for them.....I would easily pay $50 a polyp for that mushroom, I would pay that in a second........

He's been offered $300 for it by alot of people already and hasn't sold the two he has yet.

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said comparing it to Yumas is apples and oranges as far as retail.....IF he can get someone to pay $300 for it then that is what it is worth to them and more power to both parties......I wouldn't pay that for any shroom though maybe $150 for a rare yuma but like I said I know for a fact that from most wholesalers 50% of that is the wholesale cost......IT definantly is a sweet mushroom though and could very be worth it to those willing.....:)

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is a paly that glows like a radioactive dragon eye with a little actinic but its twice the size as its a paly...... is it rare? well ive never seen anything same anywhere on the internet but i know that doesnt mean dibs..... more people are known to have orange envy then this morph lol

RADIOACTIVEPALY.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Berns thats nice!

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's been offered $300 for it by alot of people already and hasn't sold the two he has yet.

then my advice to your farmer friend is to take the $300 asap.....there's no way I would pay that price for a regular, albeit oddly coloured shroom.

in Toronto, we get amazing stuff pretty regularly.....if such a shroom came into to one our stores, i don't see it selling for more than $50/polyp (and that's a stretch, let me tell ya!), especially b/c it's not a ricordea!!

but then again, amazingly coloured yumas sell for $30 to $60 on average here, whereas i've see some U.S. stores sell yumas for $150 - $300!!!!!.....so I guess ANYTHING is possible in the US, eh!?

Zach.

Patwa

Zig-Zag pro since '96
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

looks like a regular zoa to me.......if anything it coudl be z. gigantus (formerly commonly called 'paly')....it may have a large diametre, but it's no paly, imo

but hells yeah...it's a nice morph! ;)

Zach

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back