Re-Aquascaping tips

CoralClark

Stick Head
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really need to change the look of my tank!!! want to rescape this weekend was looking for some tip on doing this. i have a fully stocked 120gal tank. i have 8 fish. do i take everything out and completely start from scratch or how do i go about doing this. thanks everyone ahead of time.

Last edited:

returnofsid

Moderator Extrodinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This really depends on you and what "look" you're aiming for. If you do decide to remove everything and "start over," make sure you're completely prepared, before you start. It takes a lot longer than you will ever realize...lol. As far as preparation, for instance, I have a 100 gallon stock tank that I use, when doing something similar. I also have several large rubbermaid totes. I use several containers. It's important to keep your livestock warm and well oxygenated, during this process. I separate, into different containers, fish/corals & rocks with corals/rock without corals.

Do NOT disturb your sand bed, anymore than necessary, during this process.

Live rock will need to be kept wet and keep from getting cold, but it doesn't need to stay submerged in water, as long as it'll be back into your tank, within 24 hours or so.

Corals and fish will need water circulation and heat. They won't need any light.

When I do this, using several containers, I take my time and don't rush anything. I've rushed things in the past and lost livestock. With proper preparation, you can do this over a weekend, taking all the time you need, to do it right.

When it comes to the actual aqua-scaping, a few things to consider. Make sure you're creating holes/caves/overhangs/etc. for fish to hide in and create their own territory. Make sure your aqua-scaping allows for good flow, through the rock work. Make sure to allow for areas to place corals, keeping in mind that the corals will grow and need room for such.

Also, if you do decide to do this, take the time to look over all your rocks, carefully, while still in the tank AND out of the tank, looking for any pest anemones or algae, that can be removed.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 86 45.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 17 9.0%
Back