Re: Potassium

chefzif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been speaking to a few who add potassium to there tank which will bring out the blues and then I get another perspective from a aquarist on not using potassium due to the test kits may not be accurate. So I woud like some othr aquarists comments and if potassium addition is realy needed and if to much potassium is added what are the signs?:bigsmile:

AD87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have used it with negative results, I used the Zeo brand and doses 1/4 of what they required. Most of my sps bleached..

RBursek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear this, Boomer had a comment on it for "blueing: up corals and was going to think about it but decided to leave well enough alone, and after reading your results, I will not, just do my water changes and keep my Mg, Ca, and Alk in order!

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you all using Zeovit? My understanding is that people using Zeo need it because it is stripped from the water. If you are not using Zeo then you dont need it.

gilmour01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run zeo and had been dosing K+ on the conservative side for months. i recently sent a sample of my water to aquariumwatertesting.com and my K+ came back very low. i doubled up on my dosing and things have never looked better. its one of those things you have to be careful with, but it does have its benefits.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the problems is potassium can not be accurately tested for with home kits.

My "gut feel" is that like zeo, macro algaes and other plant life do consume potassium over time. And in the one home test kit I used potassium was 100ppm low. I then found out that the kit is notroius for reading low.

Has anyone tried potassium chloride for dosing?

OP
OP
chefzif

chefzif

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank all of you for your prospective! I do not use Zeo and I had my water tested and I amrunning 280 for potassium and do water changes every 7 days.

eggie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank all of you for your prospective! I do not use Zeo and I had my water tested and I amrunning 280 for potassium and do water changes every 7 days.

280 is low thats why potassium is added most of the times cause it comes low on most of the salt brands
k+ plus is stripped only for peolple having low nutrient tanks using zeovit but evendo its something that you dont have to dose so frecuently
Maybe thats why some of you got bleach corals

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching is typical for a tank that had low K+, then dosed and didn't do it slow enough.

Dosed conservatively over a long period of time, to bring it up slowly, while continuing to test using AWT.com is what I have done.
I haven't had any problems, but I am pretty meticulous when it comes to dosing and testing nowadays.

Nowadays I don't dose unless there is a reason, and I don't dose anything I can't or don't test for, except a couple things that I know the outcome of.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleaching is typical for a tank that had low K+, then dosed and didn't do it slow enough.

Dosed conservatively over a long period of time, to bring it up slowly, while continuing to test using AWT.com is what I have done.
I haven't had any problems, but I am pretty meticulous when it comes to dosing and testing nowadays.

Nowadays I don't dose unless there is a reason, and I don't dose anything I can't or don't test for, except a couple things that I know the outcome of.

Is that the correct link? It comes up business cards for me?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back