re-preparing live rock

Timbo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I was rescaping my display and took some of the live rock out of it to put into the sump. I took out 2 decent sized rocks and put them to the side (next to the sink) while I finished my new scape. I ran out of saltwater so started to make more and forgot to put the rocks I took out into the sump. By the time I realized they were pretty much dry. How do I go about putting them into the sump. Do I need to bleach them first or cycle them again in a large bin? Not sure...

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So how long were they dry? Just a few hours? If just a few hours, then don’t worry about it. Just put them back in. Only the rock surface is dry, but the majority of the surface area is inside the rock, It would take days to dry out.

When you put these rocks into the water , they don’t get wet to the middle right away, it days hours or even days to get fully wet inside the rock. Same idea about the reverse.

OP
OP
Timbo13

Timbo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took them out about 30 hours ago. Also the rocks are caribsea life rock if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would still add it back to the sump, one rock won't make a difference.

If it makes you feel better, you can drop the dry rock in a bucket of saltwater, and add a small rock from your tank into the bucket, and turn on a powerhead. Just leave it there for a few days then add back them into the tank.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 84.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back