Adding old stored Life Rock

JamesB74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help?? I got some life rock from a person that had it in their basement in bins for about a year. What is the best way I can clean it to make sure I do not introduce anything into my existing reef tank.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can biologically "nuke" it by placing all that rock into a big 40 gallon brute bin with a heater and power head, and dump a bunch of unscented bleach in. Let it sit for a few days then remove the rock and let it dry totally.

Then put the rock back into the brute bin, fill it with salt water, toss some bottled bacteria in with some food pellets and or ammonia and let it cook for another two ish weeks.

Boom sterile seeded rock :)

OP
OP
JamesB74

JamesB74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few days needed to nuke? I hopeing I could make out with useing my tube for a few hours (hahaha) fill it half full and 3 to 4 cups of bleach , but you think a few days huh

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a few days needed to nuke? I hopeing I could make out with useing my tube for a few hours (hahaha) fill it half full and 3 to 4 cups of bleach , but you think a few days huh
I like to give it a few days to ensure it gets deep into the rock ;)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 13 10.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back