Re-scaping with establish rock questions

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have an established 30 gallon running 1.2 years. I'm not entirely thrilled with the aquascape in one area. I would like to break the rock down into pieces, apply epoxy for scape, and add the rock back in.

Is this viable?
Anything to worry about?
Will the epoxy adhere to moist/wet rock? (this question is important to me also)
Will the freshly new exposed "inside surface" cause a nutrient threat?

Other option would be to create a new scape with extra dry rock(at hand), soak it, then add to tank. I know If I go that route, I pose a risk to lack of bacteria.

Has anyone gone through with this and what have you experienced?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should not be an issue. FYI the epoxy works ok, I used a product called stone fix. I used the stone fix under water and holds better then epoxy. I was also reading last night about using a plastic polymer but that has to be done out of tank. link

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should not be an issue. FYI the epoxy works ok, I used a product called stone fix. I used the stone fix under water and holds better then epoxy. I was also reading last night about using a plastic polymer but that has to be done out of tank. link
Sweet! Reading about this plastic polymer. Says algae wont grow over to hide its appearance? Does that include coralline?

BillFragnormous

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet! Reading about this plastic polymer. Says algae wont grow over to hide its appearance? Does that include coralline?
I would recommend applying a little sand or crushed coral/pebbles to the surface of the polymer before it cures. It'll give it a more natural look and things can grow on it :)

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend applying a little sand or crushed coral/pebbles to the surface of the polymer before it cures. It'll give it a more natural look and things can grow on it :)
Great idea. Thanks!

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not quite sure, coraline grows on pretty much any thing. I would say if the joint is exposed to light I would say there is a good chance the coraline would grow on it. Again I used the stone fix link for the reason the polymer was not out yet and the stone fix look more like the live rock.
I mixed the stone fix into large balls and let it set until is start to give some resistance and quickly put the ball in place and the there rock and let is set.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not quite sure, coraline grows on pretty much any thing. I would say if the joint is exposed to light I would say there is a good chance the coraline would grow on it. Again I used the stone fix link for the reason the polymer was not out yet and the stone fix look more like the live rock.
I mixed the stone fix into large balls and let it set until is start to give some resistance and quickly put the ball in place and the there rock and let is set.
Thats what i figure as well. Seems like both are good just one might take longer to dry. I might just try the polymer. I can mask it with rubble.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i figure as well. Seems like both are good just one might take longer to dry. I might just try the polymer. I can mask it with rubble.
From what I read, is that you will have to use the polymer outside the tank, in the water the polymer will set to quick.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I read, is that you will have to use the polymer outside the tank, in the water the polymer will set to quick.
The idea was to remove the rock from the tank, break it down, and stick the pieces back together before adding the rock back to the tank. Does that sound okay?

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea was to remove the rock from the tank, break it down, and stick the pieces back together before adding the rock back to the tank. Does that sound okay?
Yes mam, perfect. Then the best choice is the polymer. Let us know how it works

FYI the polymer will be hot to handle, what I would do is get a box of the vinyl food serving gloves and put on layers and this will help with handling and applying. This come from experience of handling hot product with my hands for the years.;)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep for sure I used to put mine in a towel in the garage, whack with a ball p hammer and then arrange jenga fashion into the nano. not one ammonia event ever

if we were to discover nutrients inside rock in any negative way in this regard then the breaking was beneficial to discover a nitrate pump for the tank, kick those rocks out

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do handle the live rock, wear protected gloves. Infection on the hands and fingers suck, trust me been there done that.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes mam, perfect. Then the best choice is the polymer. Let us know how it works

FYI the polymer will be hot to handle, what I would do is get a box of the vinyl food serving gloves and put on layers and this will help with handling and applying. This come from experience of handling hot product with my hands for the years.;)
I have rubber gloves and a clean set of dish washing rubber gloves(the thicker kind). Will either of those be ok or something different?

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep for sure I used to put mine in a towel in the garage, whack with a ball p hammer and then arrange jenga fashion into the nano. not one ammonia event ever

if we were to discover nutrients inside rock in any negative way in this regard then the breaking was beneficial to discover a nitrate pump for the tank, kick those rocks out
That is exactly whats going to happen! Thanks!:D

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have rubber gloves and a clean set of dish washing rubber gloves(the thicker kind). Will either of those be ok or something different?

I've used these gloves before, live rocks are sharp and may or will rip dish gloves

Screenshot_2017-03-30-07-46-12.png

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used these gloves before, live rocks are sharp and may or will rip dish gloves

Screenshot_2017-03-30-07-46-12.png
I guess the worry would be, will the polmer adhere to the gloves? They say as it cools it almost like super glue.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good call on hand protection you could use those dishwashing elbow length rubber gloves too if concerned. we had a keeper get a bad hand infection from reworking hundreds of pounds of live rock. I don't use any hand protection but then again my whole tank weighs ten pounds full of water.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, then you work the stuff when it is hotter and it should seep into the pores of the rock better. That means a better hold

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess the worry would be, will the polmer adhere to the gloves? They say as it cools it almost like super glue.
Just use the rubber glove of that type of glove.

OP
OP
reeferfoxx

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect! Thanks everyone! Might be a couple weeks before some before and after pics. Cheers!

Back