Reactor for 75g tank?

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to be getting a 75 gallon tank soon and I was wondering which reactor to buy? I am going to be using GFO, and maybe i’kk buy a second one for carbon.
Budget: around:80

I was thinking about the (Reef Octopus Beginner OCT-MF300B 2.5 Inch Media Reactor)

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am going to be getting a 75 gallon tank soon and I was wondering which reactor to buy? I am going to be using GFO, and maybe i’kk buy a second one for carbon.

I was thinking about the (Reef Octopus Beginner OCT-MF300B 2.5 Inch Media Reactor)

always think about future upgrade of you will buy things twice Imo

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why you thinking reactor already? how do you know there will be problems?

i would suggest making a strong refugium from the start and won’t need reactors

SinCityRee4r

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I agree this is something he can pick up as time goes by if required. good skimmer I would be thinking fist and foremost

OP
OP
John A!10

John A!10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was going to do a five anyways maybe I will add one as the tank establishes. Do you think I should run GFO or Carbon in the filter socks?
If not should I run them somewhere else like a bag of carbon?

dbjonesjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to do a five anyways maybe I will add one as the tank establishes. Do you think I should run GFO or Carbon in the filter socks?
If you’re cycling the tank there’s no rush for running either yet. However like many said you may not need one now but it is likely you will in the future. I’ve been running a single BRS reactor with both carbon and phosguard (will switch to gfo when out of it) with good success just by purchasing extra replacement pads and placing them in between. So realistically it would be best to just hold off till you find a really good deal on a reactor you are comfortable with using.

Jet Sled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran some GFO in my tank which is fairly new and made a horrible mistake. I bottomed out my nutrients and the Dino's exploded. I have finally gotten them under control, but it took me removing the GFO, running a UV and dosing nutrients back into the tank that the GFO stripped. If anything just stick to carbon at first at least this has been my personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt. I always learn the hard way, but only takes me one time. Good luck and happy reefing! Post up some pic's when you get it going.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran some GFO in my tank which is fairly new and made a horrible mistake. I bottomed out my nutrients and the Dino's exploded. I have finally gotten them under control, but it took me removing the GFO, running a UV and dosing nutrients back into the tank that the GFO stripped. If anything just stick to carbon at first at least this has been my personal experience, so take it with a grain of salt. I always learn the hard way, but only takes me one time. Good luck and happy reefing! Post up some pic's when you get it going.
Excellent advice!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did a new build in aug. I still have both reactors sitting next to the tank. I always ran gfo in my smaller tank as well, but bigger systems really manage their own nutrients pretty well. Try a fuge and liverock before putting something in instinctively. Also filter socks really cut down on my pod population while starting up. So I don’t recommend using them religiously either, if your having people over or something just pop one in the day before if you want it really polished looking.

tatties

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you are thinking of reactors already? think of the word, you are reacting...you don’t have an issue. if an issue arises, then we react. then you can run gfo or carbon or other stuff. a good skimmer to remove skimmate and water changes to export nutrients is what you need.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 168 73.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back