Reactor or Sterillizer?

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just finished plumbing my aquarium and added two maniold points (two right gate valves). I'm gonna use one for the chiller, and the second I can't decide if I want a reactor or uv sterillizer. I'm limited on space as you can see. Any advice would be great, also taking any brand recommendations.
IMG_20180419_185703.jpg

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it open until you know for sure which one would suit your needs best. You can always do both :). Run a UV sterilizer when needed and a reactor when needed. Again, I'd say just get your tank running then let it dictate what is needed.

As you know the UV will help you have crystal clear water (with some level of disease control) and a reactor can have many purposes (GFO, carbon, etc).

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just leave it open until you know for sure which one would suit your needs best. You can always do both :). Run a UV sterilizer when needed and a reactor when needed. Again, I'd say just get your tank running then let it dictate what is needed.

As you know the UV will help you have crystal clear water (with some level of disease control) and a reactor can have many purposes (GFO, carbon, etc).

Yep, both as needs require. You'll find that a reactor will be used more than a UV, but a UV has it's pluses when needed.

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for the manifolds, with the limited space you have, I would have maybe changed it to where at least one of them were against the bottom (top depends on how you look at it ;)) of the stand; specially if you plan a UV sterilizer install. That way you could easily mount the UV to the top of the stand and had the return drop back into you sump area. Maybe would be a little cleaner and give you a little bit more space.

OP
OP
Brandon Rush

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks for the response, I plan on running a fuge so I feel the need for GFO/Carbon won't be needed, but then again a reactor would look cool lol

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, I plan on running a fuge so I feel the need for GFO/Carbon won't be needed, but then again a reactor would look cool lol

Even with a fuge you'll find times requiring a reactor.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 50 25.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 46 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 48 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back