Amazon UV sterilizer

i0nz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was curious if anybody has personally used any of the UV sterilizers on Amazon in their reef tank with success? I’ve seen numerous options at reasonable prices. I have a 60 gallon cube ext in which I’d like to run one on. I’m confused about which wattage and if any of the UV sterilizers sold on Amazon would be a viable option?

Further down the line I would like to install an inline but my space is rather limited so I’m hoping to find something which would work. I’ve seen 8,9 and 11w bulb options. Most have a pump included. If no solid options exist, I would like to find some sort of a solution which doesn’t involve the pricer inline options. Any input and or tips are appreciated!

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually, as with everything in life you get what you pay for! :)

What is the goal with your UV steriliser? What do you wish to achieve? :)

You are not referring to anything specific, but UVs with "8,9 and 11w bulbs" are unlikely to make much of a difference regardless of whether you're looking to control algae or parasites.

I run a 25w on a 135 gallon tank - I wish I went bigger but as with you, I was limited for space.

Might be worth having a look at this episode from BRS Investigates :)

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I was curious if anybody has personally used any of the UV sterilizers on Amazon in their reef tank with success? I’ve seen numerous options at reasonable prices. I have a 60 gallon cube ext in which I’d like to run one on. I’m confused about which wattage and if any of the UV sterilizers sold on Amazon would be a viable option?

Further down the line I would like to install an inline but my space is rather limited so I’m hoping to find something which would work. I’ve seen 8,9 and 11w bulb options. Most have a pump included. If no solid options exist, I would like to find some sort of a solution which doesn’t involve the pricer inline options. Any input and or tips are appreciated!
None of those in that power range are likely to do anything useful for a 60 gal reef tank.
I'd also be very careful unless they state they are suitable for salt water use, as many are not.

Save up your pennies for something tried and proven in the hobby.

FYI I run a Pentair 40W on a 90 gal system.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back