• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Read before purchasing from Fishy Business Aquatics!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

I thought I’d share my experience with my first order from @FishyBusinessAq . My first order was a fairly large order as it was fish for two separate systems. I decided to order 8 lyretail anthias, 2 copperband butterfly fish, 1 longnose hawkfish, 1 yellow coris wrasse. Primarily the reason I made the order from them was because the anthias were on an incredible sale. One thing I thought was interesting was that you pay extra if you want certain types of guarantee on the fish. If you were ok with only a DOA Guarantee, then you don’t pay. But if you wanted to pay for 7 day, 14 day or 21 day I believe, then you would pay an extra pre determined price. I decided to go with just the DOA Guarantee.

When I initially made the order, I noticed that I had forgotten to add something to the order. I called them and immediately was pleasantly greeted and was given all the steps to be able to add what I needed to my existing order. When I tried adding the product to the existing order, it didn’t work. I tried calling again but they were closed. Luckily I had a couple days before it was being shipped out. I called the following morning and turns out there was something wrong on their end and they happily fixed everything and within moments I was able to add everything I needed to my existing order.

Fast forward to today when I was supposed to receive my package. They were really good about sending text/email notifications and I was home from work so I was able to receive my package from the UPS delivery guy right when he arrived at my home.

Now this is where I began to get a bit disappointed. First disappointment was that for ordering all these fish, I would’ve assumed I would’ve gotten multiple boxes and fairly large ones. However they stuffed all 12 fish into a medium sized insulated box. (I don’t have the dimensions but I have it at home and can measure it out for reference if anyone would like). I’ve ordered fish from other suppliers and have received much larger insulated boxes for significantly less fish. Second disappointment was that when opening the box, there was a little bit of water in the box no big deal but as I started picking up the bags, not all of them were air tight and the bags didn’t have very much water to what I would’ve expected. Again, comparing to other places, my fish always come with a significant amount of water and are double bagged and air tight with a ton of oxygen. Third disappointment was that two of the anthias were DOA which is not their fault of course but it’s disappointing to a fish lover like me. One died during acclimation, a couple aren’t doing too well and all the rest of the anthias had all their fins frayed.

The other fish are doing fine and all looked good, however, the anthias were the ones I was primarily disappointed in. Jen at fishy business aquatics is outstanding and took care of the DOA Guarantee and had all my money returned for the two fish. When I told her about the other anthias, she said there wasn’t anything she can do. I wasn’t going to argue her as I didn’t pay for the extra guarantee but of course I was hoping to get some better quality anthias from the get go. To me that was the one thing I felt like they really dropped the ball on. Im not sure if that’s why the fish were on sale to begin but I’m not sure how I could prove that as this was my first order from them.

Pros:
Great customer service
Affordable/cheap fish
Email notifications
Website is very easy to use

Cons:
Packaging was poor
Fish that were on sale were poor quality

Overall I would rate the company a B and would say if you plan buying fish from them, I would recommend looking into paying extra for the guarantee. Maybe I just got unlucky with anthias or maybe that was why they were on sale but wish the quality of them was much better. Oh well.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your poor experience with them. I have been tempted to order from them, as they have really good prices but do not offer much of a guarantee on the fish I was interested in.

There have been similar reports to yours in recent months.

Yeah. I was disappointed they didn’t want to try to work with me regarding the anthias but I still wouldn’t completely mark them out.

AquaLocker

AquaLocker.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Denisk, this is Jen. We appreciate the feedback and are sorry that you were not 100% satisfied.

I believe I may have misunderstood you on the phone, which I apologize for. You mentioned that some of the other Anthias looked "rough" which I mistakenly interpreted to mean as in rough shape from shipping, as in "stressed" vs. frayed fins and poor quality.

We do mention that if you receive fish that are not DOA but do not meet our high standards, please follow the same procedures as a DOA (video in the bag) and then try to acclimate and keep us posted. Do you by chance have any additional videos you could provide (via email) of the other anthias?

Livestock on sale should never be "on sale" because an animal is damaged or distressed in any way. I will speak with our picking/packing team to ensure that they are not sending out fish that aren't healthy or damaged.

Were the fish not double-bagged??? If not, we will be looking into this because all fish should be double or triple bagged and air-tight with plenty of oxygen. Thank you again, we appreciate your business and the feedback and always aim to provide the best possible experience from ordering through getting the animals into your tank.

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that sale. I compared their sale price plus the 14 day guarantee and it was maybe $4 cheaper per lyretail than LA

Yeah. I looked at that but I guess I took my chances and decided to pay the price haha

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @Denisk, this is Jen. We appreciate the feedback and are sorry that you were not 100% satisfied.

I believe I may have misunderstood you on the phone, which I apologize for. You mentioned that some of the other Anthias looked "rough" which I mistakenly interpreted to mean as in rough shape from shipping, as in "stressed" vs. frayed fins and poor quality.

We do mention that if you receive fish that are not DOA but do not meet our high standards, please follow the same procedures as a DOA (video in the bag) and then try to acclimate and keep us posted. Do you by chance have any additional videos you could provide (via email) of the other anthias?

Livestock on sale should never be "on sale" because an animal is damaged or distressed in any way. I will speak with our picking/packing team to ensure that they are not sending out fish that aren't healthy or damaged.

Were the fish not double-bagged??? If not, we will be looking into this because all fish should be double or triple bagged and air-tight with plenty of oxygen. Thank you again, we appreciate your business and the feedback and always aim to provide the best possible experience from ordering through getting the animals into your tank.

No problem. It was a pleasure speaking to you on multiple occasions. The bags were double bagged if I’m not mistaken, I will double check again when I get home.

But they were not air tight light like a balloon. Also I don’t believe I was told anywhere regarding taking additional videos if certain fish didn’t seem to achieve your high standards. If I would’ve known, I would’ve taken and sent you videos.

If you choose to help in anyway, I’d gladly send photos of the current fish and how badly their fins are. I would appreciate it if so.

Again my review was to really show my true and honest experience. I wanted to show that there were some cons but as well many pros.

Once again; thank you for all your speedy replies.

Last edited:

AquaLocker

AquaLocker.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be sure to send us a photo of the anthias when you have a moment.

I know that people get lots of emails and may only skim them, but here is the email we send to every customer just after an order has shipped:

upload_2019-1-16_14-47-20.png

OP
OP
Denisk

Denisk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be sure to send us a photo of the anthias when you have a moment.

I know that people get lots of emails and may only skim them, but here is the email we send to every customer just after an order has shipped:

upload_2019-1-16_14-47-20.png

Thank you. Now I know and will make sure to follow that.

I sent photos to your customer service email. Thank you again!

Please read here before posting. Outside comments are not permitted per R2R's feedback forum policy. This is to allow the buyer and seller to have a streamlined conversation and hopefully come to a mutually satisfactory resolution in a negative transaction. If you would like to contribute your own feedback experience with either the buyer or seller, you may do so by creating your own feedback thread. Only the thread starter and vendor will have posting access. Thank you.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back