Ready for Corals?

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehhhh not quiet, you want to be closer to 9 dkh alkalinity and 420 calcium. Most importantly you want those stable. Stability is key. Even if you have garbage numbers as long as they are consistently garbage your corals will adjust to those but best practice is being as close to the above numbers.

Second thought with alk and cal being that far out check your mag levels, might be low.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Poseidon's snail

Poseidon's snail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose ph buffer which also raises alk twice a day.I use Tropic marin pro reef salt.My tank has been running for around 5 months.My goal is to have mainly sps but i will start with much easier corals first and my stocklist is 2x clownfish ,firefish and a cleaner wrasse.I would also love a rose bubble tip nem for my clowns

OP
OP
Poseidon's snail

Poseidon's snail

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose ph buffer which also raises alk twice a day.I use Tropic marin pro reef salt.My tank has been running for around 5 months.My goal is to have mainly sps but i will start with much easier corals first and my stocklist is 2x clownfish ,firefish and a cleaner wrasse.I would also love a rose bubble tip nem for my clowns

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off stop dosing pH buffer, whether you are using the pro, the bio or the standard your parameters are way out of wack. Focus on stability through conscious dosing and not buffers. Aim for your salts parameters.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is a video that talks about pH (and why you should definitely stop adding pH buffer).

If you're using tropic Marin pro if you mix it to a specific gravity of 1.026 or so you should have an alkalinity of 7, calcium of 440 and magnesium of 1350 (per the tropic Marin pro bucket). Those are all fine levels. For corals you want stability.

I would let your alkalinity come down naturally (it should when you stop dosing pH buffer and as long as you keep up with your water changes). Once your alkalinity has fallen to 7 or so then you could probably try an "easy" coral. Examples include softies and some LPS like favia and favites.

If you go with a LPS coral it will consume alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium to make its skeleton as it grows. Your goal is to keep the levels of those three things consistently available in the water column for the coral to use. That's why people say test for those three on at least a weekly basis.

When you do your weekly water changes your new water will contain calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity so you may not need to start dosing for awhile. Once your corals are consuming more than you can keep up with from water changes, then you will need to dose but in that case you would be dosing calcium and alkalinity. Bulk Reef Supply also has videos on various dosing options and their pros and cons.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about pH.

Drop your alkalinity to somewhere between 7-8 (the level found in the ocean).

I'm convinced unnaturally high alk is one of the biggest obstacles to success in this hobby. I've never seen a coral that didnt suffer when I let the alk get above 8.

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Why a cleaner wrasse?

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my stocklist is 2x clownfish ,firefish and a cleaner wrasse.I would also love a rose bubble tip nem for my clowns

Oh yeah I didn’t read your stock list carefully the first time. In your other thread you say your tank is 55 liters? That’s 14 gallons. I think many people would say that two clowns is a full stock list in that size tank. Some might argue that you could add a third small fish several months down the line. I think 4 is pushing it quite far and blue streaked cleaner wrasses have a minimum recommended tank size of 90 gallons/340 liters.

Fishbird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any chance they were recommending a cleaner goby (neon blue goby) and not a cleaner wrasse? If they really did recommend the wrasse I would take all their advice with a huge grain of salt going forward. Honestly, any time somebody gives me advice where if I follow it, it’ll involve me giving them money, I take it with a grain of salt and seek second/third opinions elsewhere :)

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 84 79.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.7%
Back