Ready ... Set .... Reef ! My first 65g Mixed Reef build.

OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stained the outside black and 2 coats of epoxy inside. I think I will need to sand and apply another coat of black stain. Then onto canopy, doors and plumbing.

20200712_195605.jpg

OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy week as was staining and installing doors on the stand. Also built the canopy which took longer than expected as needed more trim than expected so trips to Home Depot.

The front door opens, you see the notched out area for piano hinge in trim. Back 2 holes for return plumbing and allow me to still remove canopy if needed. Sits on the rim of the tank.

Top middle is for ventilation and where I plan to mount the Photon V2+ light. Yes likely going with this light. Now to stand and paint the canopy.

20200719_224434.jpg

20200719_224529.jpg

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water test a success. Thanks to God no leaks and no issues. Drained tank out again and now to paint the hallway before moving tank to its location by the wall.
Just make sure you have access to the piping in the back in case of any issues down the road

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Somebody has skills! Nice!

OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man. This is bad butt! great job on the stand. I was really worried when i didn't see any kind of support legs in the inside, but this looks a lot harder now.

Thanks! Through this build I have learned the box structure using pocket screws is really strong and can support more weight than our tanks can produce. I wanted to use glue as well to strengthen more but just forgot. I could have removed the screws, put glue and screwed again but I figured why weaken the wood. It got reinforced with the molding trim as well.

The reason why I went with the box structure vs the 2x4 frame with skin is it maximizes the inside space a lot. This was the only way I could squeeze in an Emerald 34 sump. I wanted as large sump as I could fit.

OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots done today.

1. Painting hallway
2. Ran wiring and pump controls inside sump area.
3. Activated DI part of system to fill Brute section. Installed float valve. My water out of RO is between 2-4 TDS.
4. Plumbed gate valve to extract RODI water from Brute can.
5. Moved and adjusted aquascape inside aquarium.
6. Setup and installed skimmer in sump. Will be off for at least 1st week as cycle is established.

Plan tomorrow is to figure out mounting of light within canopy and finish back side of mid stand. Then, to load in the sand and mixing of salt water. Getting closer and closer ....

JaviNap90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Through this build I have learned the box structure using pocket screws is really strong and can support more weight than our tanks can produce. I wanted to use glue as well to strengthen more but just forgot. I could have removed the screws, put glue and screwed again but I figured why weaken the wood. It got reinforced with the molding trim as well.

The reason why I went with the box structure vs the 2x4 frame with skin is it maximizes the inside space a lot. This was the only way I could squeeze in an Emerald 34 sump. I wanted as large sump as I could fit.
That makes perfect sense! I really like it. it looks modern and very well built.

OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busy painting the hallway this weekend. Thankfully it is done. Had to build a "stand" for myself to reach the upper wall where the staircase curves. The brute can below in top picture will be used to mix salt water and the orange bucket to lug water from the RODI (another Brute) unit in the basement. Maybe next project is to create a mixing station in the basement.

20200803_150905.jpg

In the basement, this is the RODI water stored in the top Brute can.

20200731_172729.jpg

OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally the stand and canopy is done and in its final position. The canopy opens from the front and is completely removable as well. The canopy has a "ledge" on each side to support the Photon v2+ 32 light. You will notice the trim on the left is removable as it is held by a magnet on top and sits on the ledge on the bottom.

I removed the aquascape to wash the rocks so next step is to restore my scape ...

20200803_180442.jpg

20200803_180725.jpg

OP
OP
FreakPrism

FreakPrism

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also washed my caribSea Fiji Pink sand. Glad I did as you HAVE TO WASH it! Took me a while to get the "Creamy white" residue out. I must have washed it like 10+ times with a hose.

I read some walks washed it for "hours" but I was not interested in doing that. Hopefully the 10+ washes will help greatly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back