Ready to make my own.

ErinT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I’m ready to make my own food. I have tilapia, scallops, shrimp, salmon, spinach and anything else I should add?

correct me if I’m wrong, but I blend it all together and then freeze it in 1/2”x1/2” cubes. Then serve as needed yes?

OR- do I just mash it to keep larger chunks and press into the cubes???

thanks for any advice!
For reference: I have a 300G saltwater with 2 tangs, flame angel, chromis (or damsel I can’t remember), Valentino puffer, and a coral beauty. I also have a rose bubble tip anemone. Im Adding this week- a juvenile emporer angel, 2 clownfish, another anemone, rectangle trigger, another couple starfish, several more turbo snails.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would eliminate tilapia( freshwater fish) and spinach. Instead of spinach I would use Nori or Dulse.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m my experience blend it up and make cubes or flatpacks with it works best.

Nori over spinach and go with cod or some whitefish on sale (saltwater). Also idk but some people use garlic, spurilina powder and don’t forget some gelatin to hold it all together!

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of Gelatin ( animal product), I would use Agar-Agar,which is a seaweed product and you can get it in some grocery stores.

OP
OP
ErinT

ErinT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I’m excited! I’m here to learn so I truly appreciate everyones input and thoughts.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the need for gelatin for food like this. Blend/grind until it's the right size, freeze flat in a zip bag and snap/shave off pieces as needed. "Whole" shellfish like clams or mussels would be good too.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might I recommend freezing into one of these?
Then no breaking or shaving, just choose a mini cube or a few!

OP
OP
ErinT

ErinT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might I recommend freezing into one of these?
Then no breaking or shaving, just choose a mini cube or a few!

Yes!! Thank you! I was going to look for those today! I need to go get some seaweed and see what other saltwater fish that H-mart has and blend it up this weekend. I figured algae strip and pellets could supplement. Planning to add some fish maybe later today and need quality and a little quantity to get the angel stabilized- at least that’s what I understand. :) plus- easier than buying ALL THE TIME. Super easy to blend and freeze- like baby food! :cool:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back