Reagents

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many folks undertand how they are been taken to the cleaners.

For example, Kh keeeper reagent is simple 0.02N Acid, which you can buy from Hanna for about $40 a bottle..
That is $40 for a bottle of 0.1N that you dilute yourself that will make 5 litres of reagent.

You can go even cheaper and buy a bottle of 1N reagent that will make you 50 litres for about the same $40

I don't understand why people happily pay over $300 for a bottle you can get for $30.

Someone please explain this to me.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

For example, Kh keeeper reagent is simple 0.02N Acid, which you can buy from Hanna for about $40 a bottle..
That is $40 for a bottle of 0.1N that you dilute yourself that will make 5 litres of reagent.

You can go even cheaper and buy a bottle of 1N reagent that will make you 50 litres for about the same $40

I don't understand why people happily pay over $300 for a bottle you can get for $30.

Many factors here. I will pick one. If I need 5 potatoes for dinner, and I don’t eat many potatoes per year, I do not buy 50 lbs because it is cheaper per pound.

OP
OP
gbroadbridge

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many factors here. I will pick one. If I need 5 potatoes for dinner, and I don’t eat many potatoes per year, I do not buy 50 lbs because it is cheaper per pound.
Why not? You buy what you can eat. I wouid buy 50 lbs and share them with other families. Economy of scale.
That is Economics 101.

You are free to buy as many potatoes as you wish and which fits your budget. Sometimes it does not scale and then you may have a point. Most often some bizzarre rules apply :)

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not? You buy what you can eat. I wouid buy 50 lbs and share them with other families. Economy of scale.
That is Economics 101.

You are free to buy as many potatoes as you wish and which fits your budget. Sometimes it does not scale and then you may have a point. Most often some bizzarre rules apply :)
Life becomes much more complex and interesting after Economics 101 :)

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For many time/ease is more valuable than money. I have zero desire to learn research what i can use as reagents, where to get in bulk, proper dilution, proper storage, learn about shelf life, etc.

So i am paying for convenience.....which at least in the US is what I would argue is Econ 101.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most people pay for convenience. its more convenient to just buy whats ready, and be done. others will buy something bulk, do the minor changes, and be good. im not a chemist, so i buy for convenience. i have other hobbies where i know an alternative, and dont buy for convenience.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One could go another step and buy a shipping container of said reagent, dilute it, package it, brand it, sell it and you could be net positive. Is it worth the trouble? I wouldn’t quit my day job. If this was for a product that didn’t have a limited shelf life, I would be much more apt to agree in theory. With all the issues involved, I’d think sticking with the small branded version would best suit most. Having gallons of reagent in my fridge doesn’t appeal to me.

Last edited:

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love eggs for breakfast, everybody loves a good egg, especially the freshly laid eggs, they are so much better fresh.
I had 3 chickens and 2 ducks for years, each chicken cost £6 each and ducks £10 pair, each hen laid 1 egg daily (in adults/maturity) duck eggs I think bi weekly.
I don't eat eggs that often now.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP I think you are being disingenuous, I would think you know the answer to this question, many/most people don’t know what the ingredients of the reagents are, I’m sure if they did at lot more would do as you suggest, it’s really that simple, not sure why you are feigning surprise here.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love eggs for breakfast, everybody loves a good egg, especially the freshly laid eggs, they are so much better fresh.
I had 3 chickens and 2 ducks for years, each chicken cost £6 each and ducks £10 pair, each hen laid 1 egg daily (in adults/maturity) duck eggs I think bi weekly.
I don't eat eggs that often now.
I thought this was going to be one of those math questions. LOL

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You know abcreagents sells them for around half the price for the trident already?
A bit more than half, but yes thank you! Just got an order the other day...crazy fast shipping! Went out the same day. Have not used any yet, but look forward to seeing how they compare.

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s interesting. What is that acid called and what’s the value in terms of specifity?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back