Real Struggle with Brown Jelly Disease

ljweller70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all - I've read several posts, it seems I'm not the only one dealing with BJD as of late, it's weird, never had before until just a month or so ago. In the past weeks I've lost all but two of my torches. My other euphyllia (hammers, frogspawn) as well as elegance, bubble, acros, clove polyps, gonis seem to not be affected and doing well. All parameters are in check (I've done ICP every month as I've been doing reef moonshiners for 4 months).

I've followed the advice here around in-tank treatment with cipro, didn't help. I've also used the advice on KFC's site doing Kung Fu dip (exactly to the instructions), along with the pre and post peroxide dip. The torches seem to be okay for a day and then two days later covered with BJD (or at least I think that's what it is) two days later. Here is the latest victim, it started as three huge heads, has been dipped now 3 times and now down to 1 head, which now seems to be mostly a goner. Im stumped.

IMG_1458.JPG
IMG_1457.JPG

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always treat the Display tank to rid the pest from there instead of doing dips. That does look like BJD, sorry about the situation.

OP
OP
L

ljweller70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, is this the in-tank treatment you used, or something else? https://humble.fish/community/index.php?threads/brown-jelly-disease-and-euphyllia.4312/. Never had an issue with BJD before, at least not to this extent. Again, its only the torches affected.

Actually this one, but they may provide the same information, I haven't read Humble's thread.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back