Received a Purple Bonsai that’s green...Shipping Error?

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received a Garf Bonsai via an online order and instead of having purple or brown tissue with green polyps...it has tissue that’s fluorescing a brilliant green and has brown polyps.
I can understand brownout from stress...but usually the polyps remain green don’t they? This seems like reverse coloration..
Wondering if anyone has seen a purple or Garf Bonsai colored like this initially?...or did I possibly receive a different acro by mistake?

318D4FA6-7FE4-4F85-91C4-018EAA40F417.jpeg E2B9AC63-5C5F-4108-BC31-FCEF6B260694.jpeg

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently received a Garf Bonsai via an online order and instead of having purple or brown tissue with green polyps...it has tissue that’s fluorescing a brilliant green and has brown polyps.
I can understand brownout from stress...but usually the polyps remain green don’t they? This seems like reverse coloration..
Wondering if anyone has seen a purple or Garf Bonsai colored like this initially?...or did I possibly receive a different acro by mistake?

318D4FA6-7FE4-4F85-91C4-018EAA40F417.jpeg E2B9AC63-5C5F-4108-BC31-FCEF6B260694.jpeg

absolutely Looks like you got a wrong acro.

just call the seller

OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just call the seller
Thanks!. Ya, that’s what I suspect also. Ive never experienced a purple bonsai look like this before. I did reach out to seller with same pics and he said high iron could make it turn green. Said they’d exchange it within a few weeks if it doesn’t start looking like the coral I ordered. Appreciate your help. Cheers.

OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

just call the seller
Thanks again. I’ll be phoning them tomorrow. Sorry, If you wouldn’t mind sharing what has you believing it’s the wrong acro ..is it primarily the green tissue? the brown polyps or both?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral you bought:
Garf-Bonsai.jpg

Coral you got:
ACRO.png

Im no acro guru, but they don't change color like that, I don't know of any coral that does.

This is an example of a coral browning out after relocating, and once it settles.

I've never seen an acro change from purple to green.

Maybe from green to what looks like "purple" but is actually brown.

That's not how browning out works.

Browned:
IMG_0117.jpeg

Better:
IMG_0315.jpeg

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is an awesome acropora guide I just found.

It'll explain the corallites and structures.

Long read but worth it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Valhalla Reefer

Valhalla Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made the exchange yesterday...
a legit Purple Bonsai. Night and day difference from the first.
Now if only I felt confident about the one on the right. LoL..it’s supposed to be a Yellow Tip Austera. Well, It’s definitely not the one from the wysiwyg photo...fingers crossed it at least a YTA.
The vendor’s renovating their new store location ..so perhaps their wysiwyg ID system is not quite in place yet

Thanks again for the helpful info. Cheers

Attachments

• C1A702B6-B6D2-4F5F-8D3C-DE9437237F4E.jpeg
    C1A702B6-B6D2-4F5F-8D3C-DE9437237F4E.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 60

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 64 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.1%
Back