2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

R2R-Welcome3.jpg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hello all!
I’ve been in the hobby since 2019, but entered from freshwater since 2016.
I pretty much went through the phases of seeing Finding Nemo as a kid, putting countless fish to sleep and “easy to keep” corals in my cyano covered reef tanks, looking on Google “what causes coral bleaching?” and “what is SPS, LPS, and LFS?” to meeting countless local reefers and LFS in Southern California and receiving corals from online vendors and reefers from Reef2Reef!
Although I just started my first job out of college as a software data engineer/analyst, I’ve been enjoying my reefing hobby from a students POV by getting my hands on all marine and coral-related books from libraries all over, watching MACNA and Reefing talks and podcasts, and writing essays and research papers on coral biology!
Although my very first coral was an blue, orange-rimmed lobo, I’ve grown into becoming a stick-head with an appreciation for montipora and chalices and would love to meet and share my intense passion for reef-keeping, environmentalism, and growing corals with local and far-away reefers!
My dream is to one day work for a coral farming company or a coral vendor/store when I retire or while I’m working now hahah….so if anyone needs help with website development, photography, big data/sales management, or anything reefing related let me know! Imagine working for Tropic Marin, Red Sea, WWC, Reef Builders, Reefapalooza, etc I’d even work for free just because I love this hobby and the people so much!
Thanks for letting me share and I look forward to meeting everyone on R2R :)
(P.S. id love to see your most price, “rarest”, or secret coral so add a photo with your reply!)
Welcome! Nice introduction! I'm glad you're here. This is a great place to help find answers you're looking for and a great place for you to share your experiences.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I wonder how many people actually read the welcome post.

welcome reefer! Lots to learn here! But do your research always…
Here’s my secret torch, love this little aquacultured guy!

A8EC5528-7D51-4855-A815-F553E91E6A79.jpeg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!
I’ve been in the hobby since 2019, but entered from freshwater since 2016.
I pretty much went through the phases of seeing Finding Nemo as a kid, putting countless fish to sleep and “easy to keep” corals in my cyano covered reef tanks, looking on Google “what causes coral bleaching?” and “what is SPS, LPS, and LFS?” to meeting countless local reefers and LFS in Southern California and receiving corals from online vendors and reefers from Reef2Reef!
Although I just started my first job out of college as a software data engineer/analyst, I’ve been enjoying my reefing hobby from a students POV by getting my hands on all marine and coral-related books from libraries all over, watching MACNA and Reefing talks and podcasts, and writing essays and research papers on coral biology!
Although my very first coral was an blue, orange-rimmed lobo, I’ve grown into becoming a stick-head with an appreciation for montipora and chalices and would love to meet and share my intense passion for reef-keeping, environmentalism, and growing corals with local and far-away reefers!
My dream is to one day work for a coral farming company or a coral vendor/store when I retire or while I’m working now hahah….so if anyone needs help with website development, photography, big data/sales management, or anything reefing related let me know! Imagine working for Tropic Marin, Red Sea, WWC, Reef Builders, Reefapalooza, etc I’d even work for free just because I love this hobby and the people so much!
Thanks for letting me share and I look forward to meeting everyone on R2R :)
(P.S. id love to see your most price, “rarest”, or secret coral so add a photo with your reply!)

Welcome! Glad you joined. I've been lucky enough to be a volunteer both for Aquashella and for Reef-A-Palooza so maybe some day you can volunteer if they are local to you, too!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Orange County:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

OP
OP
educatedreefer

educatedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Glad you joined. I've been lucky enough to be a volunteer both for Aquashella and for Reef-A-Palooza so maybe some day you can volunteer if they are local to you, too!

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you in Orange County:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
Yeah I think I'll definitely look into that and now I can't wait to volunteer :)
One thing I find peculiar is the debate with stocking fish in tanks as I've seen what is traditionally considered to be "overstocked" like 5 adult tangs in a Red Sea Reefer 250, seeing numerous large fish and tangs in a 90g, looking at videos of the tanks at the Reef Builders studio, seeing algae-eating fish at my LFS frag rack tanks, and even seeing reefers with tanks under 40g having multiple tangs.
Luckily I'm not a huge fan of tangs, since I'd have to feed nori/seaweed daily, which will increase nutrients and phosphates, and work out their aggression, so I just stick to the basics of clownfish, wrasses, and chromis.
But there is always that "fear" of being judged by the way I structure my reef, my choices in equipment and coral selection, or the way I livestock my tanks so I'm hesitant to post anything related to my own private tanks. (,:

Last edited:

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I'll definitely look into that and now I can't wait to volunteer :)
One thing I find peculiar is the debate with stocking fish in tanks as I've seen what is traditionally considered to be "overstocked" like 5 adult tangs in a Red Sea Reefer, seeing numerous large fish and tangs in a 90g, looking at videos of the tanks at the Reef Builders studio, seeing algae-eating fish at my LFS frag rack tanks, and even seeing reefers with tanks under 40g having multiple tangs.
Luckily I'm not a huge fan of tangs, since I'd have to feed nori/seaweed daily, which will increase nutrients and phosphates, and work out their aggression, so I just stick to the basics of clownfish, wrasses, and chromis.
But there is always that "fear" of being judged by the way I structure my reef, my choices in equipment and coral selection, or the way I livestock my tanks so I'm hesitant to post anything related to my own private tanks. (,:
Don’t be afraid to post on this site , we’re here to help . There will always be a few trolls on any site not just this one . Ignore those and feel free to post any question you may have no matter how remedial it may seem or how technical. Major Majority of people here want you to be as successful as you can be so that your able to enjoy this hobby , and lifestyle for years to come :cool:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I find peculiar is the debate with stocking fish in tanks as I've seen what is traditionally considered to be "overstocked" like 5 adult tangs in a Red Sea Reefer 250, seeing numerous large fish and tangs in a 90g, looking at videos of the tanks at the Reef Builders studio, seeing algae-eating fish at my LFS frag rack tanks, and even seeing reefers with tanks under 40g having multiple tangs.
Don’t be afraid to post on this site , we’re here to help . There will always be a few trolls on any site not just this one . Ignore those and feel free to post any question you may have no matter how remedial it may seem or how technical. Major Majority of people here want you to be as successful as you can be so that your able to enjoy this hobby , and lifestyle for years to come :cool:

Agree with CoralB. One thing I've noticed based on my own build thread(s) is if you do not add you build thread(s) into your signature, then few (hardly any) will look at your build threads.

We also try to kill those negative people with kindness and walk/go away. I find far fewer here on R2R then out in the wild internet and world.

Hoping this note finds you having a wonderful day!

OP
OP
educatedreefer

educatedreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the middle part of my bedroom tank between two islands!
I plan to frag the montipora and move the chalices further apart, but once the frags grow too large I plan to move them to my 250g display :)
I have two Fluval Nano Marine lights on this 40 gallon and it's about 1.5 years old
My parameters are:
10.2dkh/430ppm calcium/1700ppm mag/25 nitrates/0.09 phosphates
daily dosing Coral Amino and ATO with KALK +2 Brightwell Aquatics with All-For-Reef Tropic Marin
In the photo is: bali green slimer, red montipora cap, ORA neon birdnest, montipora setosa, green goblin tenuis, hair alage, blue mint discosommas, miami hurricane, toxic pie, green, and red chalices, fox coral, browned out favia from fellow reefer, blueberry fields leptastrea and a blue staghorn! :)
8609E0AB-B62B-4FAC-9C98-06F87E64A21B.jpeg
top.jpg

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back