Recently dosed Nitrates, now coral dying

nickmealey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank (see build thread) setup for about a year now with a few large rocks from an established system to kick things off. I'd say things have gone alright, seeing growth and little fatalities but hadn't seen it really take off yet and recently has taken a turn for the worse. It's hard when I've been in the hobby for a while now (almost 10 years) and still feel like I'm struggling with basic survival issues. The tank has mostly SPS.

Possibly a major missing ingredient this last year - lack of nutrients. I've rarely measured N/P along the way because I hadn't put much stock in keeping levels perfect. I figured with as much as a I feed it would be easy to keep nutrients within acceptable limits. I was growing tired of seeing pale corals and lack of growth so I started taking measurements and found with UL test kits that I was at 0.0 on both Nitrates and Phosphates.

On top of this I started getting more and more dinos and cyano. This led me to really push to get my nutrients up. At first I just started feeding even heavier than I was before (which I already thought was a lot) and I started seeing what I thought was an improvement (better color, visually more healthy). That got my Phophates to an acceptable range but Nitrates undetectable still. I ended up dosing some Nitrate from Fish of Hex and brought levels between 4-5ppm over the course of a few days. Maybe this is where I went wrong, but I also started backing off the feeding amounts. That was a bit over a few weeks ago and the coral have responded poorly. Several losses, some on their way out, and just generally not looking good. Even a green slimer that's been growing well and never skipped a beat is looking stressed. Mostly the acros but also a goni that reseeded heavily. On the bright side, the cyano has really cleaned up since then. All the frags in the tank are at least 5-6 months in the tank, most have barely grown but survived.

My best guess is that the bump Nitrate was a shock to the coral, but most of my research seems that people don't experience such a set back just when increasing Nitrate into acceptable levels like this. At this point I'm wondering if I just need to let things ride or intervene in some way. Also since that dosing I've been measuring and it hasn't dropped at all, still 4-5ppm).

It's worth mentioning the other weird experience I've had with this build is pretty early on without much coral at all, I was experience massive alk consumption (upwards of 250-300ml per day of BRS two part) which was very surprising to me. If I didn't dose heavily, levels would fall below 7dKh. Several months ago that tapered off and I got down to less thank 30ml / day. Maybe that was the new rock? Dinos possibly? All that has created some alk swings, but nothing in excess of between 7.5-9.5dKh. I also will admit life got really busy this last summer and the tank went extended time (~3 months) without water changes.

I'll assume you'll want the basics:
- 1.026 Tropic Marin classic salt
- Lots of flow (2 MP40s and a gyre)
- Average 200-250 par to the coral Orphek Atlantiks full power
- 8dKh
- 0.08ppm Phosphate
- 4.5ppm Nitrate
- Running a UV (which I discovered had been off for a while)
- I had an ICP test done (see results), granted I've done several reasonable large water changes since then

I realize that good things come in time and I'm willing to be patient, but I can't help but think it would seem easier by now :) Wait it out and just see how things go? I can snap some photos if that's helpful.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my tank (see build thread) setup for about a year now with a few large rocks from an established system to kick things off. I'd say things have gone alright, seeing growth and little fatalities but hadn't seen it really take off yet and recently has taken a turn for the worse. It's hard when I've been in the hobby for a while now (almost 10 years) and still feel like I'm struggling with basic survival issues. The tank has mostly SPS.

Possibly a major missing ingredient this last year - lack of nutrients. I've rarely measured N/P along the way because I hadn't put much stock in keeping levels perfect. I figured with as much as a I feed it would be easy to keep nutrients within acceptable limits. I was growing tired of seeing pale corals and lack of growth so I started taking measurements and found with UL test kits that I was at 0.0 on both Nitrates and Phosphates.

On top of this I started getting more and more dinos and cyano. This led me to really push to get my nutrients up. At first I just started feeding even heavier than I was before (which I already thought was a lot) and I started seeing what I thought was an improvement (better color, visually more healthy). That got my Phophates to an acceptable range but Nitrates undetectable still. I ended up dosing some Nitrate from Fish of Hex and brought levels between 4-5ppm over the course of a few days. Maybe this is where I went wrong, but I also started backing off the feeding amounts. That was a bit over a few weeks ago and the coral have responded poorly. Several losses, some on their way out, and just generally not looking good. Even a green slimer that's been growing well and never skipped a beat is looking stressed. Mostly the acros but also a goni that reseeded heavily. On the bright side, the cyano has really cleaned up since then. All the frags in the tank are at least 5-6 months in the tank, most have barely grown but survived.

My best guess is that the bump Nitrate was a shock to the coral, but most of my research seems that people don't experience such a set back just when increasing Nitrate into acceptable levels like this. At this point I'm wondering if I just need to let things ride or intervene in some way. Also since that dosing I've been measuring and it hasn't dropped at all, still 4-5ppm).

It's worth mentioning the other weird experience I've had with this build is pretty early on without much coral at all, I was experience massive alk consumption (upwards of 250-300ml per day of BRS two part) which was very surprising to me. If I didn't dose heavily, levels would fall below 7dKh. Several months ago that tapered off and I got down to less thank 30ml / day. Maybe that was the new rock? Dinos possibly? All that has created some alk swings, but nothing in excess of between 7.5-9.5dKh. I also will admit life got really busy this last summer and the tank went extended time (~3 months) without water changes.

I'll assume you'll want the basics:
- 1.026 Tropic Marin classic salt
- Lots of flow (2 MP40s and a gyre)
- Average 200-250 par to the coral Orphek Atlantiks full power
- 8dKh
- 0.08ppm Phosphate
- 4.5ppm Nitrate
- Running a UV (which I discovered had been off for a while)
- I had an ICP test done (see results), granted I've done several reasonable large water changes since then

I realize that good things come in time and I'm willing to be patient, but I can't help but think it would seem easier by now :) Wait it out and just see how things go? I can snap some photos if that's helpful.
I would just wait it out now and would be hard to connect the coral lost to raising the nitrates I would of believe more that they were affected by the time that no nutrients were available in the system

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals don't want nitrate. They want nitrogen, and ammonia is a way better source for that than nitrate. You significantly cut back the ammonia going into the tank in favor of nitrate - and that generally means less food for corals.

Also, below 7dkh isn't a problem. If you're having issues keeping nutrients up - 6.5 is a way safer place to be than 9.5.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back