Recomended Sump Size

Joshua Jordan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

Ever since I began this wonderful and fulfilling hobby 5 years ago, I have only had small tanks. My largest was a 40 gallon cube with a 10 gallon sump. After learning many lessons along the way, I truly now understand what people mean when they say "Larger aquariums are easier to keep". It just makes sense that the larger the volume of water, the more stable your parameters will be.

With that said, I took advantage of the recent sale at Petco and purchased a 75g. Now, I realize that for most people on this site, a 75 gallon tank isn't considered a "large tank", but when all you have had are AIO's, Biocubes and such, a 75 gallon tank is quite a bit bigger.

My question is this: Is there a general consensus on how many gallons a sump should be for a given DT size? (ratio?)? I have a 40g breeder that has never been used and was thinking about using that to build a custom sump. I definitely have the room for it under my DT, in the stand. That would bring my total water volume to 110g; give or take a few gallons.

Thanks a bunch for your help.

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually the sump size is limited by the size of the cabinet it will be placed in.
It ought to have place for skimmer, return pump, and a few filters like carbon or phosphate reduction.
It is good to have place in the cabinet for some add on too like 2 part or Balling and nopox + potassium, nitrate and phosphate and a dosing pump. You will never know what You will need in the future. An algae reactor is also good to have many times but it can usually be placed in or out of the sump.
In Your case with 2 tanks it maybe is possible to have the add on under the smaller tank.

Paper , pencil and a number of sketches is what You need.
And dont limit the add ons because of money. Maybe You will need the algae reactor in 5 or 10 years and You will feel stupid if You have to buy a new sump then. Make place for the big skimmer You cant afford now. Maybe You will find one used very cheap in 3 years.
Just start the tanks with skimmer and return pumps and let the tanks tell You when You need some add on.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just plan in a generous section in the stand for electronics and stuff and then make the sump as big as you can fit into the remainder (while still being able to get your hands in there), maybe not so large that you can't every take it out again without tearing down the whole tank

Nate h

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a 40 breeder in for a sump under my 75 gallon tank. I will be building a separate side cabinet for my electronics. Just make sure you have enough height to be able to get any equipment into the sump and have room to work.

Kris 2020

Super Active Excellent Well Known Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 breeder sump on my 65 gallon. IMO the more water volume the better. 40 breeders are nice because you have that extra bit of width. Just make sure u have plenty of extra room under the stand for a top off reservoir etc.

ChaosAquaculture

Specializing in the Ridiculous
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The solution to pollution is dilution. Get the biggest sump you can afford that still fits in the stand. I've never heard anyone say they wished they had less sump space.

husemn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tearing down my 300 gallon tank and building a 125 gallon cube and have a remote fish room in the basement with a 75 gallon sump, 40 gallon frag tank and a 50 gallon drum filled with live rock. So more "sump" than tank once I get the 125 cube up and running. Extra water volume is nice to have for many reasons other than the wallet.

nyfan1222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a 40 breeder in for a sump under my 75 gallon tank. I will be building a separate side cabinet for my electronics. Just make sure you have enough height to be able to get any equipment into the sump and have room to work.
do you have a cabinet stand or is it open? did the 40 fit with no problem?

Nate h

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a cabinet stand or is it open? did the 40 fit with no problem?
The sump is in a cabinet and I can take it out the front doors if needed. Front to back there is not any extra room but on each side there is extra space.

Back