Recommendation on water change pump

RoronoaZangetsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need a recommendation on a pump for water changes for a 150g tank. I have a brute in the basement that hold about 40g. I currently have a Danner Magpump 9.5 which does not have the head loss that I need. The basement to the tank is about 12 feet. So I need a pump that can at least do that but would be more happy with something 15 feet or more. Gallons per minute is not that important but a good flow would be nice. I will be using this pump only for bulk changes. My Apex dos will be handling the daily changes.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to find a solution for this as well. I'm not ready to buy into the Apex system, the Versa pumps haven't been in stock for months and those Stenner double headed pumps cost just about as much as an Apex and DOS.

My next idea was just to get a regular return pump but even if I can find one that can pump water up a full floor AND will do it through a 1/4 line (since I already ran a bunch of quarter inch lines assuming I'd be able to get a versa pump), there's still the problem of being able to control a pump in the basement from the first floor...reliably, so it doesn't flood anything.

Something I've considered is just throwing my auto top off pump (Osmolator 3155) in the saltwater mixing bucket, manually removing a gallon or two of water and letting the ATO refill it. Then move the pump back to the RODI bucket. But for all that work, I might as well just do it by hand.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to find a water change system as well and today i thought of an idea. I’m just going to get two return pumps, one for the new water and one for the dirty, then turn them on at the same time. As long as the pumps gph is the same, it should act as a water changer. I’ll be hooking mine up to an apex

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been trying to find a water change system as well and today i thought of an idea. I’m just going to get two return pumps, one for the new water and one for the dirty, then turn them on at the same time. As long as the pumps gph is the same, it should act as a water changer. I’ll be hooking mine up to an apex
Since you've got an Apex, you'll be able to tune them. Even if it just means letting one run longer than the other. But I wouldn't be surprised if you set the two pumps up under identical situations and they pumped different amounts of water. It doesn't even have to be much, but an extra little bit in or out each day will cause problems. In this case, if that happens, you'll either risk flooding (over time, as the sump fills up a little higher each time) or a drop in salinity if it doesn't get filled up all the way and your ATO tops off with RODI.

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you've got an Apex, you'll be able to tune them. Even if it just means letting one run longer than the other. But I wouldn't be surprised if you set the two pumps up under identical situations and they pumped different amounts of water. It doesn't even have to be much, but an extra little bit in or out each day will cause problems. In this case, if that happens, you'll either risk flooding (over time, as the sump fills up a little higher each time) or a drop in salinity if it doesn't get filled up all the way and your ATO tops off with RODI.

I was going to get an autoaqua awc but for some reason all the retailers stopped selling them a few months ago.

ReefSentinel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have been looking for the similar issue regarding future water changes.
I have a split story house garage side is two story and side where tank is is single and have RODI water in garage.
Been looking for a pump that will pump up approx. 6m (20ft) rather than carrying buckets.
So far I have found a few Marine Deck wash pumps, these seem to be low voltage and have a good head pressure.

OP
OP
R

RoronoaZangetsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@ReefSentinel I don't see any tech data on head loss. Are you sure these can maintain a flow with a head loss of 20 feet? It says the flow rate without head loss is only 11L/min. My Magdrive has 900G/min and it can't handle the head loss.

Side note I have a Apex dos handling normal water changes daily. I was just in need of a pump if I should need to do a bulk change every once in a while.

thewedge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm finally looking to up my water change game as well and have a similar scenario. Have to pump waste water from the basement up a flight of stairs to the laundry room sink. I used my mag9 as a test and it barely made it and flow stopped briefly a couple times. Interested in hearing other people's solutions.
It sounds like a DOS might be able to handle it. Is that correct? Do peristaltic pumps not have to worry about head loss?

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 164 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 26.3%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 92 34.6%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 70 26.3%
Back