Recommendations for display Macro/softie tank

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of putting a small macro/softie display tank together. The tank is a 20 gallon tall & has been running approx 4 months. I initially plumbed the 20 gal. tank into my display tanks sump and added some established live rock from my display to fast track the cycling process. I have since separated the two systems now that this one is well established and growing coraline. I am looking for attractive looking macro for the tank and would appreciate some recommendations of which species and where to purchase from. I have recently purchased some dragon's breath from a online source and you can say that I was less than pleased with the amount of macro I received vs what I spent. I just purchased some Pom Pom macro yesterday from my LFS and was given a full specimen cup for $10. The dragon's breath does seem to be doing well in the tank. The coloring has really come around since being placed in the aquarium. The tips have a really bright orangish red coloring. I am hoping it takes off and grows well. I would like to propagate it and add it to other spots and another aquarium I have set up. I want some different colors and shapes of macro in the tank.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macros are a great challenge and if done right look amazing. You have the ones I would recommend off the bat. For dragons breath you’ll have to dose iron and they do best IMO with full spectrum white lights. You can also try calerpa for a touch of green!

OP
OP
G

Gellisjr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macros are a great challenge and if done right look amazing. You have the ones I would recommend off the bat. For dragons breath you’ll have to dose iron and they do best IMO with full spectrum white lights. You can also try calerpa for a touch of green!
Thank you for the Iron tip. Much appreciated.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Codium, caulerpa cupressoides and ulva are nice for green in the tank. I even have chaeto in my display but it can be too messy for most people.
I have 2 species of gracilaria along with red grape caulerpa. I have found all of these macros to be pretty easy.
IMG_20240212_122042343.jpg

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, macro algae consumes nutrients much faster than coral. I have found GulfCoast EcoSystems an excellent supplier of macro and CUC. In addition to iron, macro will consume all trace minerals and supplements should be added regularly. I use liquid seaweed concentrate or add your water change from established aquariums.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caulerpa Filiformis is an amazing green:
1712499817734.png

Caulerpa Taxifolia is a cool fern:
1712499930023.png

I don't remember exactly what they're called but the Christmas Trees are a really unique shape:
1712500001668.png

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back