Recommendations for faster growing branching Acros

  • Thread starter Thread starter HairyGary
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Cliffs is the same species as The Vihn and Upscales Microlados. Both of these grow fast for me. Each has a nice and different color.

Atlantis Aquarium (ATL) Blue Clover Stag is similar to Lime in the Sky and used to nearly be a menace for me. It was desirable, so I easy to get rid of huge hunks.
 
Cliffs is the same species as The Vihn and Upscales Microlados. Both of these grow fast for me. Each has a nice and different color.

Atlantis Aquarium (ATL) Blue Clover Stag is similar to Lime in the Sky and used to nearly be a menace for me. It was desirable, so I easy to get rid of huge hunks.

Yeah I like that one! Thanks!
 
Over the last two years there are two acros in my tank that have grown zero. Or almost zero.

One I believe to be Nicks purple passion

And green slimer

Unordinary I realize. Haven’t been able to pinpoint the issue.

Following though for more ideas

That IS interesting. I got a green slimer about 6 weeks ago and it has been a very fast grower. I am not saying that you are doing anything wrong. I struggled with SPS corals for 2 years. I finally hit on a combination that works in my tank and all of my sps are growing and some are growing fast.
 
Over the last two years there are two acros in my tank that have grown zero. Or almost zero.

One I believe to be Nicks purple passion

And green slimer

Unordinary I realize. Haven’t been able to pinpoint the issue.

Following though for more ideas

My slimer likes light and high flow. I assume your numbers are in line?
 
Just looking for recommendations on faster growing branching Acros similar to the green slimer. I love the crazy growing pattern and color of the green slimer and would like to add other branching types to the upper portion of my reef that are similar.

Thoughts?
Purple, blue slimmer or any type of stag horn I have 22 different kind in my tank
 
My slimer likes light and high flow. I assume your numbers are in line?

Yes. I have a tank full of acros that are all thriving. 5 year old tank. Rodi water, IO salt, weekly 15% water changes, ATI sunpower light. 90x turnover in the display, calcium reactor, 2 ppm NO3, 0.03 ppm PO4, daily heavy feeding, 7.0 DKH like a rock stable...ect. Basics have been down for a long time.
 
I'm gonna have to follow suit, Miami Orchid has a wicked growth pattern and took off faster than any acro I've had in my systems. Photos don't usually do it justice, it's far prettier in person.
 
Purple, blue slimmer or any type of stag horn I have 22 different kind in my tank
Where do you get your staghorns from? Besides green slimer, I have trouble finding any e.g. A. yongei or A. formosa in bright colors...
 
Yes. I have a tank full of acros that are all thriving. 5 year old tank. Rodi water, IO salt, weekly 15% water changes, ATI sunpower light. 90x turnover in the display, calcium reactor, 2 ppm NO3, 0.03 ppm PO4, daily heavy feeding, 7.0 DKH like a rock stable...ect. Basics have been down for a long time.

Have you tried testing your water for metallics?
 
I'm gonna have to follow suit, Miami Orchid has a wicked growth pattern and took off faster than any acro I've had in my systems. Photos don't usually do it justice, it's far prettier in person.
Now you have to share photo!
 
Have you tried testing your water for metallics?

No. But I do run poly filter every 6 months or so. I’d consider doing a triton test if it were more than just one coral that was struggling. It’s just peculiar that it’s the supposed easiest acro that won’t grow for me. My montipora palawanensis has grown faster and those are notoriously slow growers
 
No. But I do run poly filter every 6 months or so. I’d consider doing a triton test if it were more than just one coral that was struggling. It’s just peculiar that it’s the supposed easiest acro that won’t grow for me. My montipora palawanensis has grown faster and those are notoriously slow growers
Irritated by pest? Just grasping at straws at this point.
 
Irritated by pest? Just grasping at straws at this point.

I know I know! Believe me I’ve grasped. No visible pests I’m aware of, and I check a lot having lived through most of them. My only reasonable clue is that it is maybe not even green slimer at all. I keep meaning to clip the top and move it somewhere else to see if it’s a positional problem
 
I know I know! Believe me I’ve grasped. No visible pests I’m aware of, and I check a lot having lived through most of them. My only reasonable clue is that it is maybe not even green slimer at all. I keep meaning to clip the top and move it somewhere else to see if it’s a positional problem
59FDD88A-D07F-40E1-86F3-627610D9CCF8.jpeg


Like this guy? Not the best pic
 
good ole fashioned purple formosa is a nice thick branched staghorn that grows quickly too.
Thanks. I like the old fashioned tried and true sps
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new