Recommendations on lights for a 6 gallon?

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a mixed reef 6 gallon! Any suggestions on a type of light, or brand?

I was thinking this Nicrew 30W LED, but not sure if I should go with something more customizable. The tank will be a mixed reef, so want to be sure to have sufficient light for some encrusting LPS/SPS + softies.

nicrew.jpg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light will likely be fine. You may want to evaluate your plan of sps/lps/and softies in a 6 gallon tank. Softies in particular can take up a lot of space. Just saying you might want to prioritize what you really want for space reasons.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty cool video I found showing 4 different nano lights on one tank!

The light will likely be fine. You may want to evaluate your plan of sps/lps/and softies in a 6 gallon tank. Softies in particular can take up a lot of space. Just saying you might want to prioritize what you really want for space reasons.
You are correct - I am taking my sweet time with this setup in all aspects! I think I am experienced enough with nanos to pull off a mixed reef like this one from WWC's - his is only a 3 gallon and look at that coral diversity!

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going with a mixed reef, I'm assuming that includes sps. That said, you will want to go with something like a Kessil A360x. I know this might seem like overkill, but your acros will thank you for it.

I have a 360x over a 4 gallon pico and I'm upgrading to a G6 for higher PAR.

WD, SC OP, Lady in Pink and Vivid Sublime are growing under the Kessils, but I'm thinking the G6 might pull out better colors.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're going with a mixed reef, I'm assuming that includes sps. That said, you will want to go with something like a Kessil A360x. I know this might seem like overkill, but your acros will thank you for it.

I have a 360x over a 4 gallon pico and I'm upgrading to a G6 for higher PAR.

WD, SC OP, Lady in Pink and Vivid Sublime are growing under the Kessils, but I'm thinking the G6 might pull out better colors.
I feel like the A360x is a bit to fancy for this setup. Just going to be a 5 gallon aquarium bowl. Maybe if I had more money it would be a consideration! I was thinking Kessil A80 as an option. Check the video I posted above - it should be sufficient to grow the SPS I was looking for - nothing fancy. I wasn't even thinking of adding an acro, maybe 1 or 2. Was more so thinking some encrusting SPS like montis, Leptoseris, or Cyphstrea.

But I think I am going to with the ABI 12W Tuna Blue par38 as the Aquarium Bowl setups I am mimicking are using those (also it is far more affordable). With a nice fixture its only around $60-$80

KK's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the A360x is a bit to fancy for this setup. Just going to be a 5 gallon aquarium bowl. Maybe if I had more money it would be a consideration! I was thinking Kessil A80 as an option. Check the video I posted above - it should be sufficient to grow the SPS I was looking for - nothing fancy. I wasn't even thinking of adding an acro, maybe 1 or 2. Was more so thinking some encrusting SPS like montis, Leptoseris, or Cyphstrea.

But I think I am going to with the ABI 12W Tuna Blue par38 as the Aquarium Bowl setups I am mimicking are using those (also it is far more affordable). With a nice fixture its only around $60-$80

The A80 was my first light and it worked great for zoas, LPS, rainbow montis, and cyphastrea. I didn't upgrade until I got into acros.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The A80 was my first light and it worked great for zoas, LPS, rainbow montis, and cyphastrea. I didn't upgrade until I got into acros.
Oh good to know! For my budget sake I am thinking the Tuna Blue I mentioned above or the Kessil A80. I can see if you are going for mainly acros how you would want to upgrade to a very powerful light.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 143 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back