Recommendations on Sodium Nitrate and Sodium Phosphate?

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried everything, and my NO3 is still undetectable. I'm going to start dosing NO3, but also get some PO4 to dose as well, since I'm well aware that once I bump up my NO3, PO4 can drop fast.

Can you double check these two things I'm planning on getting and dosing?

TriSodium Phosphate:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ILIO85Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A224H40ZI0MLC0&psc=1

Sodium Nitrate:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0190TOJUS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3I9XEF9NDF3ER&psc=1

Thanks!

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley
Got the sodium nitrate and trisodium phosphates. I need to raise my nitrates first, and then phosphates once it starts to drop.

I saw on another thread you said this for phosphates:
1. Add 1.88g of the Trisodium Phosphate to 1 liter of water
2. Adding 1 mL per 100 L of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.01 ppm

So I'll add 1.88g to 1 liter of water, then dose that solution according to number 2?

And then I'm at a loss to Sodium Nitrate. I looked through all the threads I could find, but they were all about Potassium Nitrate, not Sodium Nitrate. The calculator I saw linked also only shows potassium nitrate. I'm currently at 0ppm of nitrates, so hoping to increase that.

The Sodium Nitrate came in little tiny spheres. How much should I dissolve into 1 L of water? And then how much should I use to increase the ppm of Nitrate?

Thanks!

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I'm going to do:
8.4 grams of Sodium Nitrate
100ml of RO/DI

I will then add 6ml of the solution to my tank which is about 43 total system gallons to raise my Nitrates to 2.26ppm

My target is just around 2ppm of Nitrates. I'm currently undetectable at 0.

I'll test 24 hours later and see how much I need to add to keep a constant 2ppm. I may raise it to 5ppm later if I still need more algae to grow (to battle dinos). I'll keep an eye out on phosphates too and dose as needed there.

I have another dosing pump (2 heads) on the way, but was wondering once I find a stable amount of NO3/PO4 dosing if I can mix both Sodium Nitrate and TriSodium Phosphates into the same mixture?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but was wondering once I find a stable amount of NO3/PO4 dosing if I can mix both Sodium Nitrate and TriSodium Phosphates into the same mixture?

Yes, you can mix them. :)

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My weight scale sucks, but I added 10g of Trisodium Phosphate to 200mL of RO/DI water. How do I calculate how much to dose into 43g water to raise PO4 to 0.2ppm?

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the sake of making math easier, I diluted the solution into another 800ml of water

So it's 10g in 1L of water

Does that mean 1ml of the solution will raise 100 l of water 0.0532ppm?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much, yes.

Trisodium phosphate is 58% phosphate.

10 grams of it contains 5,800 mg of phosphate.

1 mL raises 100 L by 0.058 ppm. :)

@Randy Holmes-Farley Is this a typo? Or did I read it wrong. Just want to be accurate. ;Bookworm

I saw you posted this too:

Just to clarify, that stock solution is 1090 ppm phosphate (1.88 x 0.58 g/L or 1.09 g/L or 1,090 mg/L).

Adding 1 ml per liter of tank water will boost phosphate by 1 mg/L.

Adding 1 mL per 100 L of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.01 ppm.

And this:

And this:

Trisodium phosphate is 58% phosphate by weight.

Adding 0.1 gram to 100 liters of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.6 ppm.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Is this a typo? Or did I read it wrong. Just want to be accurate. ;Bookworm

I saw you posted this too:

Just to clarify, that stock solution is 1090 ppm phosphate (1.88 x 0.58 g/L or 1.09 g/L or 1,090 mg/L).

Adding 1 ml per liter of tank water will boost phosphate by 1 mg/L.

Adding 1 mL per 100 L of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.01 ppm.

And this:

And this:

Trisodium phosphate is 58% phosphate by weight.

Adding 0.1 gram to 100 liters of tank water will boost phosphate by 0.6 ppm.

I don't think it's a typo where I originally it, but it might be. I think the statements were in different posts referring to different stock solutions. But it isn't worth going to other threads to check.

In any cause, I'd recommend using a calculator. I don't like checking math when calculators do it 100% accurately. :D

View Badges
I wish someone would just say use this and do this and thats it.there so many kinds of nitrate and phosphate chemicals to raise them wish hobby would just say this is the best 1 to get and that’s it.Ive been reading for hrs.on this site so many post on this subject and people are still lost on this matter.I to need to raise nitrates and phosphates it confusing to ,so many ways to do it.Just want the beat way and it done that’s it.Going with lab grade sodium nitrate from sciencecompany.com For nitrates /and TriSodium Phosphate don’t know if it’s the best but there’s Monosodium Phosphate also And others.What is the best for phosphates to raise them? I know I can use this or that but I want the best.please help tired of reading eyes hurt.Can we end this conversation at once on how to raise nitrates and phosphates in A reef tank with chemicals. Now what is best To raise phosphates ?

Stoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish someone would just say use this and do this and thats it.there so many kinds of nitrate and phosphate chemicals to raise them wish hobby would just say this is the best 1 to get and that’s it.Ive been reading for hrs.on this site so many post on this subject and people are still lost on this matter.I to need to raise nitrates and phosphates it confusing to ,so many ways to do it.Just want the beat way and it done that’s it.Going with lab grade sodium nitrate from sciencecompany.com For nitrates /and TriSodium Phosphate don’t know if it’s the best but there’s Monosodium Phosphate also And others.What is the best for phosphates to raise them? I know I can use this or that but I want the best.please help tired of reading eyes hurt.Can we end this conversation at once on how to raise nitrates and phosphates in A reef tank with chemicals. Now what is best To raise phosphates ?

IMO trisodium phosphate makes the most sense. I believe monosodium phosphate is actually NaH2PO4. Maybe Randy can confirm, but based on my understanding, the H+ would lower pH. Only other option I'm aware of is potassium phosphate which would link potassium to your phosphate dosing, which obviously isn't ideal since consumption likely wont be in the correct ratio.

View Badges
I just order some stuff on amazon just gonna try it.see why try it ,I need to know it ,hobby been around very long time and people still talking about how to dose nitrates and phosphates and what works.and people still don’t know still.just like me I read a lot today on this subject and still no answers.what I’ve read was just try this or this ,how about this.I don’t what that.I want what works.ok I got Make sure it’s 99.9% food or lab grade.Someone need to make a spreadsheet on this matter and throw in vinegar also.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back