Recommendations: Quieter pump for Bio-cube 32?

SunshineGirl88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi folks!

I am new to the hobby. The Biocube 32 airpump is really loud and is driving me a little bonkers- I'm highly sensitive to sound. I've been doing ok with it so far, but I've read that I can find quieter alternatives.
Do you have any recommendations?

I'm also willing to do things to dampen the sound- if people have advice on how to do that.

I've also noticed that when I feed the fish frozen brine shrimp cubes it gets sucked into the back of the tank because of the way the air is circulating- I'm concerned that a lot of the shrimp is going into the rear chamber instead of into the tank itself for the fish to eat. I'll take advice on that too if you have some good ideas.

Thanks again!

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your pump loud or is the sound the water pouring into the 2nd chamber? I know on mine I keep my water level up much higher than where it shows on the side of the tank and it quits the water flow sound down a lot. I have a 29g biocube and it is likely the same.

I like to pour in my food so it get dispersed and then I turn off the water pump. This will keep a lot of food from getting into the back chamber. You should keep some filter floss in chamber 2 where the water pours in. It’s going to catch 95% of the stuff that gets sucked in. Change it every couple days and that will help keep your nitrates from getting too high.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it vibration noise? Water noise?

My biocube is set up right beside my couch and the only thing I hear is the fan and occasional tapping from my crab when he's near the glass.

If it's vibration noise you can reach your arm down in and try to resecure it as it's held in place by suction cups.

If it's water noise. As mentioned above check your water levels in the 2 and 3 chamber. I keep mine pretty full and there is zero waterfall noise from my tank.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+ 1 on the Sicce 1.5. A lot of us turn off pumps when feeding, especially when target feeding corals in a smaller tank. IMHO 10 - 15 minutes isn't a problem.

cleansmitty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same problem. I set up my tank 2 days ago and it’s been pretty silent, all of a sudden I walk into the room to hear it. It’s not a water dripping sound, it’s a filter sound. Almost like a small grinding noise. I’ve isolated it to the pump itself. I’m also looking for advice on a silent pump replacement.

Any recommendations?

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 50 28.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.3%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back