Recommendations: Small, peaceful, interesting sponge eater?

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not looking for a fish to fix my problems, I just think it might be cool to have that additional natural food web interaction in my tank.
I think I'm figuring out how to grow sponges pretty well. I have at least half dozen varieties established and growing in the tank - some getting big. If I succeed in ramping up the sponge growth and my new cryptic zone starts getting well colonized by sponges (as a protected area that the sponges can re-seed the display from), then I'd like to have a cool fish that would graze on sponges.
Requirements:
  • needs to be chill. Everything else in my tank is peaceful - gobies, blennies, dartfish, pajamas, and some are spawning.
  • not a coral eater. Fine to nip a zoa or sps every now and then, but not eat colonies. Also Gorgonians. I love my gorgs too.
  • small - 70 gal tank.

Other considerations:
  • should be a cool fish. Like I said, this isn't to solve a problem, it's to add interest.
  • Carribbean or similar would be a plus. Since that's where most of my hitchhiker sponges came from.
  • I'm also open to out-of-the-box suggestions. Saw a claim that a linckia starfish may need sponges and hence its poor survival most of the time.
Cherub Angel? Butterfly of some sort?
I'm not a super experienced fish guy. I'm going off info here:
The Pygmy Angelfishes - James Fatherree
Aquarium Fish: Butterflyfish - Francesco Ricciardi (there seems to be much dissent to this author's opinions)

Suggestions and good reading material?

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do centropyge argi actually eat sponges?
I was looking at a source on their diet in the wild and it was one of the only angels that they didn't find sponge in their diet.

K. Steven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do centropyge argi actually eat sponges?
I was looking at a source on their diet in the wild and it was one of the only angels that they didn't find sponge in their diet.
I've seen them eat sponges off live rock, but I'm not sure if they show species preferences. It could also just be their inquisitive nature to taste textured epifauna.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cherubfish is beautiful, but they can be aggressive and I sure wouldn't want to pair one with the biggest cowards in the saltwater industry *cough* dartfish *cough*

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Angels and butterflies will eat sponge, but most butterflies that eat sponge will also try corals.

I agree that argi is a little aggressive for what you are looking for.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @eatbreakfast @Jesterrace. I accept the possibility that the fish I'm looking for may not exist.
Sponges are much less nutritious than corals, so fish that love sponges but won't eat corals don't make much sense.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cherub angel is a cute, fun fish; I kept one in a reef that seemed to be pretty reef safe as I could tell. But the dwarf angels don't seem to be the spongivores as the large angels. As stated above, if you get a fish that will graze on your sponges, they will likely give some of your corals a taste as well.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opinions on rock beauty angels?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Challenging, and probably significantly bigger than what you're looking for.

Which adds up to 'bout pretty much all I know about them.

They used to be considered one of those fish best left in the sea, but from what I have heard, they seem to do better in aquaria these days than they used to.

~Bruce

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back