Recommended Sump for a 125 Gallon Reef Tank

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking at sump filtration for my reef tank and I'm struggling to find something which would fit best for a 125 gallon. The one I'm most interested in at the moment is the Trigger Systems Ruby Sump here https://www.marinedepot.com/trigger-systems-ruby-sump-36-inch but it doesn't specify what tank size its rated for. Any suggestions?

OP
OP
Cetus

Cetus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend the largest sump you can fit in your space.
I think the 36" Trigger Ruby Sump is around that ballpark. I'm more so looking for what brands are recommended and I've heard good things about Trigger. Would the 30 or 36 work out well for a 125?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made my own for my old 125 out of a 55. Im cheap. I mean thrifty.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trigger sumps are great, Fiji cube is another great one to look at. GEO sumps, Lifereef, Advanced Acrylics are all awesome as well. I will only say this when it comes to sump sizing and it's slightly different than the general "biggest you can" Mantra.

Take a good hard look at the equipment and filtration methods you are hoping to employ with your sump. Whether it be lots of reactors, a big fuge, big skimmer etc. And make sure your sump will do what you need it to do. Does the Trigger 36 give you ability to do what you want to?

As long as it does all you need it to do that is all that matters. As big as possible is really just a bonus at that point. But a sump that is fit to your specific goals can leave more room for other things, storage, controllers, dosers ETC. There is only so much room under a stand after all

ubiq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Trigger Platinum 34 seems to be keeping up with my Nuvo 100, and the integrated roller is a plus.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back