Red ? Algae in refugium

nobody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is growing in the refugium looks to be a redish color (see pics)
Also the usual green algae growing both are only in the refugium nothing in the DT. I did add a white light in addition to the normal grow light a while back , could that be causing it ?
Thanks.

20231001_110731.jpg 20231001_110651.jpg 20231001_110640.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is growing in the refugium looks to be a redish color (see pics)
Also the usual green algae growing both are only in the refugium nothing in the DT. I did add a white light in addition to the normal grow light a while back , could that be causing it ?
Thanks.

20231001_110731.jpg 20231001_110651.jpg 20231001_110640.jpg
Looks like cyanobacteria

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a mad science experiment but at least it's in your fuge and not DT. Why 2 separate lights? Do you have chaeto growing?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed why did you change the light? Was it not working out for you ?
He didn't change, he is still running his original gro light but added a second light too which is just white. I see no reason for this and it is obvious why major algae issues are developing in his fuge particularly cyano which really uses light to develop.

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn't change, he is still running his original gro light but added a second light too which is just white. I see no reason for this and it is obvious why major algae issues are developing in his fuge particularly cyano which really uses light to develop.
If it ain't broke ;)

OP
OP
nobody

nobody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a second light because since I added it(12-22) it has not grown, it looks nice and green and healthy, just no growth. So I've been trying slowly since then to increase the growth.
I added the white light with a tad of blue and it has started to increase in mass but has developed this cyno problem.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a second light because since I added it(12-22) it has not grown, it looks nice and green and healthy, just no growth. So I've been trying slowly since then to increase the growth.
I added the white light with a tad of blue and it has started to increase in mass but has developed this cyno problem.
What are you using for your original light? What is your phosphate and nitrate numbers? Do you use a skimmer or reefmat? Algae scrubber?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That could be from iron depleting.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, OP have you tried dosing chaeto gro?
I do, and I stipped for a little while because I thought it wasn't doing anything, then all the algae died in my display, then my chaeto shrank a bunch, and my nutrients went sky high. Started dosing it again at 80% of the recomended dose, and it turned around.

However, when my traces bottomed out I had die off, you aren't experiencing that. So I am not 100% sure

I would say the biggest indicator would be, how are your nitrates and phosphates? If they are well controlled I wouldn't be concerned with growth of the chaeto for a while.

On the other hand, iron depletes rapidly in our systems, so unless you are changing a lot of water out, it might be the culprit.

I use a very pink grow light from amazon, the chaeto looks black wheb its on

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, and I stipped for a little while because I thought it wasn't doing anything, then all the algae died in my display, then my chaeto shrank a bunch, and my nutrients went sky high. Started dosing it again at 80% of the recomended dose, and it turned around.

However, when my traces bottomed out I had die off, you aren't experiencing that. So I am not 100% sure

I would say the biggest indicator would be, how are your nitrates and phosphates? If they are well controlled I wouldn't be concerned with growth of the chaeto for a while.

On the other hand, iron depletes rapidly in our systems, so unless you are changing a lot of water out, it might be the culprit.

I use a very pink grow light from amazon, the chaeto looks black wheb its on
Agree but I was asking the OP if he was dosing chaeto gro. I used it successfully also but stopped when I started dosing red sea trace elements.

OP
OP
nobody

nobody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have tryed 2 bottles of cheato gro from brightwell, no change..
Nitrate are 14 and phosphate. 04
I'm not running algae scrubber.
I'm running a skimmer. Tank (90 gal) has been running great since Nov 2019. This is the 1st time I've had any thing like this go on.

OP
OP
nobody

nobody

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The extra white led I added has help considerably with the cheato growth but I guess the side effects are cyno.....hummmm

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back