Red all over my tank

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So I have phosphate at 0.13- 0.07 and nitrate at 0.4 I have Dino’s all over my tank should I get my phosphates down and add chem clean and run light carbon?

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many strategies to control Dinophlagellates, but adding Chemi Clean is Not one of them. Chemi Clean is to control Cyanobacteria.
Actually, since Dinos and Cyano may look alike to many, you should start with proper diagnosis. Are you surre that you have Dinos, not Cyano?
Pictures of the tank under white light would be of some help, but microscopic diagnosis if available and feasible would be even better.
Controlling phosphates is always a good idea, but in your case they are not sky high and if so, you should lower phosphates gradually.
I presume "light Carbon" is an activated carbon? If so, by all means, run it.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many strategies to control Dinophlagellates, but adding Chemi Clean is Not one of them. Chemi Clean is to control Cyanobacteria.
Actually, since Dinos and Cyano may look alike to many, you should start with proper diagnosis. Are you surre that you have Dinos, not Cyano?
Pictures of the tank under white light would be of some help, but microscopic diagnosis if available and feasible would be even better.
Controlling phosphates is always a good idea, but in your case they are not sky high and if so, you should lower phosphates gradually.
I presume "light Carbon" is an activated carbon? If so, by all means, run it.
Okay so what should my course of action be then how do I get rid of the red

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pics

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 73

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of GHA, which are thriving mostly because of high nutrients, mainly phosphate. Getting rid of those is also totally different matter.
The only Red, I see are coralline algae. There are some bubbles on brownish algae, which might be Dinos, although, I am not totally convinced. GHA can be tamed by mechanical means, like scrubbing rock with a toothbrush and pluckung them out, changing light spectrum to more actinic/blue and eliminating red/green/white. Decreasing photoperiod and intensity, controling phosphates and above all adding CUC, although there are only some invertebrates or fish, which could controlled GHA. Increasing biodiversity is also one important steps.
There are lots of Forums on R2R going more into details about it, you could research those. It's a process, not a single intervention though.
Good luck!

Daddio64

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely looks like coralline algae. Eventually it'll cover your rock and help keep the nasty gha away. Do some research on what you want in your tank that likes gha, and enjoy. BTW that's a nice color for coralline if you ask me. Here's a before and after for you.

Attachments

• 20221215_105946.jpg
    20221215_105946.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230220_174918.jpg
    20230220_174918.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely looks like coralline algae. Eventually it'll cover your rock and help keep the nasty gha away. Do some research on what you want in your tank that likes gha, and enjoy. BTW that's a nice color for coralline if you ask me. Here's a before and after for you.
Im taking about the hair algae covered in red I know what coralline algae is but thank you.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just manually remove the offending algae during water changes, get a good siphon tube setup and try to suck out as much as you can. Do you have space for any type of ATS or chaeto fuge? That could help with lowering the phosphates slowly.

Adding a few good snails like turbos or trochus would help if it is short enough.

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry didn't mean to offend, didn't see the red in the hair. Still don't see it, must be my eyes they're not what they used to be.
Yes sorry I was trying to respond nicely as I said “thank you” no worries I didn’t any offense at all

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would just manually remove the offending algae during water changes, get a good siphon tube setup and try to suck out as much as you can. Do you have space for any type of ATS or chaeto fuge? That could help with lowering the phosphates slowly.

Adding a few good snails like turbos or trochus would help if it is short enough.
I think if anything phosphates where too low

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if anything phosphates where too low
Your phos numbers are fine but the algae in your tank is taking up some of that. Your nitrates should be higher based on current knowledge. My tank for the last couple years were running zeros for nitrates(salifert) and phosphates (Hanna LR) but I know with chaeto growth and some in tank algae they are present.

Current tank pic with a flare up of red cyano, likely due to recent rock/sand movement. I siphon it out during water changes and gravel vac as well. It will eventually go away. Last nitrates test was 5 and phos was zero.
20230325_142807_HDR.jpg

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m getting really tired of this hobby always a new issue

You have to be willing to put the work in. That includes a willingness to do proper research and understand the "why" part of what goes on in our tanks.

You also have to be patient and gain experience.

I look at your photos and I think "yeah... my tanks looked like that when I started". But now, after 20 years in the hobby, I enjoy a tank that thrives in every way. And much of that success is due to advice and direction I have received here at R2R.

Please be patient and don't get discouraged!

The "red" that I see in the photos is Coraline algae. This is good. However, the hairy green algae on your rock is indicative of live rock that was not cured prior to being placed in the tank.

So let's start with some basic questions:

1. How often do you do water changes?
2. Do you us tap water with conditioner or RODI water?
3. What kind of filtration do you use; sump? Canister? Hang on back filtration?
4. What lighting are you using and how long are they on?

OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have to be willing to put the work in. That includes a willingness to do proper research and understand the "why" part of what goes on in our tanks.

You also have to be patient and gain experience.

I look at your photos and I think "yeah... my tanks looked like that when I started". But now, after 20 years in the hobby, I enjoy a tank that thrives in every way. And much of that success is due to advice and direction I have received here at R2R.

Please be patient and don't get discouraged!

The "red" that I see in the photos is Coraline algae. This is good. However, the hairy green algae on your rock is indicative of live rock that was not cured prior to being placed in the tank.

So let's start with some basic questions:

1. How often do you do water changes?
2. Do you us tap water with conditioner or RODI water?
3. What kind of filtration do you use; sump? Canister? Hang on back filtration?
4. What lighting are you using and how long are they on?
ok

Last edited:
OP
OP
Perthegallon

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your phos numbers are fine but the algae in your tank is taking up some of that. Your nitrates should be higher based on current knowledge. My tank for the last couple years were running zeros for nitrates(salifert) and phosphates (Hanna LR) but I know with chaeto growth and some in tank algae they are present.

Current tank pic with a flare up of red cyano, likely due to recent rock/sand movement. I siphon it out during water changes and gravel vac as well. It will eventually go away. Last nitrates test was 5 and phos was zero.
20230325_142807_HDR.jpg
Thank you that makes perfect since and seems like the same cause for me

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.8%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 56 29.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 68 35.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.2%
Back