Red bubble algae spreading

mryellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started getting these red bubble like algae. Usually green algae would be the problem but I’ve never seen like this. Water changed happen every week with typically 10 gallons off (it’s a 40 gallon tank) inside I have green carpet and basic anemones. All parameters are are decent and only media I run is phosphate mech bags and carbon. From the sump.

It’s been three weeks and the tank itself is about a year.

What is the correct name for this type of algae and what’s the best way to remove it?

image.jpg

image.jpg

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your flow in the tank? Said tank is about a year old so it’s somewhat established I assume. Not necessarily harmful unless it covers your coral and start choking them out. What’s worked for me is 3 days tank blackout without feeding

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red bubble algae, what are you referring to on the last pic

OP
OP
M

mryellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your flow in the tank? Said tank is about a year old so it’s somewhat established I assume. Not necessarily harmful unless it covers your coral and start choking them out. What’s worked for me is 3 days tank blackout without feeding

You know what my flow on this tank is terrible because the only flow is the top over head for the input water from sump. This tank is established, I do water changes often and run media on a set schedule. However unlike my larger fish only tank I never bothered to put a wavemaker. I’m guessing better flow/current would help a lot.

As far as blackout goes, can I do a total three day blackout with the coral inside??

zack801

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done it with coral. Only thing that might have an issue are more sensitive sps. I haven’t lost any coral from a blackout though.

OP
OP
M

mryellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve done it with coral. Only thing that might have an issue are more sensitive sps. I haven’t lost any coral from a blackout though.

I waited some time before starting to put coral like the green carpet and a few anemones. Prior to that I was dosing various types of nutrients for the tank thinking it’s help with coral. I did spiked the nutrients way too high.

So I’ll do a three day black out with complete lights off and don’t feed starting tonight.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not bubble algae! It is actually oxygen bubbles trapped under mats of cyanobacteria. You can siphon the mats up when you do water changes. You need to increase flow, increase water changes (both frequency and amount), and very possibly change your lights (depending on what type). Cyanobacteria is one of the oldest organisms on the planet and also one of the most persistent.

Are you using T5's for lighting? If so, I suspect that they are the original bulbs and as they have aged, their color has shifted more to the red end of the spectrum. It turns out that Cyanobacteria really like that, so that will certainly help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its the awful sludgy Cyno bacteria which is created by higher nitrates and phosphates . Good water flow helps alleviate it, but I don't mean blast your tank. Simply a steady flow to your lower tank to sand bed creates a motion where the cyno cannot adhere easily. You can in the mean time blast it with a turkey baster and net the particles out manually.
Chemi-clean. It is safe and Really Works !

OP
OP
M

mryellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not bubble algae! It is actually oxygen bubbles trapped under mats of cyanobacteria. You can siphon the mats up when you do water changes. You need to increase flow, increase water changes (both frequency and amount), and very possibly change your lights (depending on what type). Cyanobacteria is one of the oldest organisms on the planet and also one of the most persistent.

Are you using T5's for lighting? If so, I suspect that they are the original bulbs and as they have aged, their color has shifted more to the red end of the spectrum. It turns out that Cyanobacteria really like that, so that will certainly help.

It’s slimy like covering with oxygen traps! I’ll siphon it and increase water flow . But no I don’t have t5 lights, I’m using led lights that are have a lot of blue and white and some green and on red led . The light I usually kept on but I started the 3 day black out , well see how it does

OP
OP
M

mryellowtang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you !

Its the awful sludgy Cyno bacteria which is created by higher nitrates and phosphates . Good water flow helps alleviate it, but I don't mean blast your tank. Simply a steady flow to your lower tank to sand bed creates a motion where the cyno cannot adhere easily. You can in the mean time blast it with a turkey baster and net the particles out manually.
Chemi-clean. It is safe and Really Works !

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 45 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 175 67.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back