Red Bugs and Bauer/Bioadvanced

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jilly92 yup why I got my little 120x loupe to inspect pieces after dip(tissue,irregularities,blemishes,discoloration,tears,bulging tissue I usually dip in coral rx an iodine(redbugs usually are endemic to smooth skin acropora sp from Australia for red bugs interceptor or (milbemycin oxime) works best crush one pill one pill equals 6 sailfert spoons(add one spoonful per cup of tank water)put coral in solution and wait an hour to an hour and 20 mins for bigger pieces.then inspect piece with 120x and blast slime and redbug remains off the piece with a turkey baster,then have a separate cup ready and re dip the piece in fresh tank water add 1ml lugol iodine then redrip and re add piece to display or coral qt tank if u have one,keep inspecting daily if infestation happens get a pipefish(some people treat whole display but I wouldn't try this or buy into your better off dipping individual pieces you'll never know how finicky a certain piece or piece will react to interceptor, then keep inspecting piece and dosing iodine weekly if piece starts to bleach or peel dip in revive before it's too late
i actually had a very bad dino infestation a couple of years ago, after nuking the tank with interceptor

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But everyone has a different method this is what I do and it works out ok,but it's all in what's conventional for you and what you feel comfortable doing

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally dont like the idea of nuking in anything under 75g

Last edited:

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're gonna keep up on Maitenence and chemistry and wc then you would be ok.but personally I've always been better off drpping dipping in solution(1hour), redripping in fresh water(30mins) blasting slime and dead redbugs off then dosing iodine and adding to coral qt and observing piece for a week

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you're gonna keep up on Maitenence and chemistry and wc then you would be ok.but personally I've always been better off drpping dipping in solution(1hour), redripping in fresh water(30mins) blasting slime and dead redbugs off then dosing iodine and adding to coral qt and observing piece for a week
did you ever obs red bugs reemerging after the whole treatment? when you put the frag into observation

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally dont like the idea of nuking in anything under 75g
I just treated my 25g qt with a half a pill 3 weeks in a row with zero issues. I did lose 1 peppermint shrimp that I couldn’t get out. All fish and corals were fine. I am having a little cyano in there now but it’s not bothering anything

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you ever obs red bugs reemerging after the whole treatment? when you put the frag into observation
It happens sometimes you just dip again if you have a sps dominated tank or a deep substrate or alot of rock work it is possible but highly unlikely...

That's why you blast it off with turkey baster after 1hour treatment and then add to another cup with fresh tank water dose iodine then add to qt or observe closely in dt

Last edited:

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@LOVEROCK I have a 29g I qt new pieces in and observe for a week or two,or put pieces from dt if any irregularities occur (100 or so bucks saved me alot of loss and heartache when I got back into this hardcore again)i now assume all corals and fish come from a dirty system and qt now

Attachments

• 20210127_015927.jpg
    20210127_015927.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 31

UnderseaOddities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just treated my 25g qt with a half a pill 3 weeks in a row with zero issues. I did lose 1 peppermint shrimp that I couldn’t get out. All fish and corals were fine. I am having a little cyano in there now but it’s not bothering anything
If u keep it stable after treatment and do wc after a day or two after treatment you'll be all right(dissipates in 4days) I'm oldschool I just dont like the idea of dosing anything directly to dt that can lay sedentary,I'd rather take a few minutes of my time and just dip the piece or have a coral qt setup,just for my own sanity it's not a correction or anything like that it's just my personal preference and 2 cents,(same with annehyde,praziquantul,bayer,cupramine,potassium chloride,any heavy metal or antibiotic really (trace,cal,mag,Sodium,N,P,K,Iodine, only thing I feel comfortable dosing directly to dt other than bacteria)

Last edited:

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not read through this entire thread so not sure if anyone has mentioned this before. But I always keep Dr. G's dip on me. It has the exact same ingredient as Interceptor except you don't need to go to the vet.

Here's the forum that I have used as a guideline to kill red bugs. I did 1 treatment with the recommended dosage (7ml/gal) and it worked great for me! Haven't seen them since.
Dr G's & Red Bugs | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

I also experienced black bugs. I tried the same dosage of Dr. G's and it did not work. I then upped it to 1ml/gal and it worked for black bugs! Haven't seen them since!
Treating BLACK bugs with Dr. G's | REEF2REEF Saltwater and Reef Aquarium Forum

If you are seriously into acros, I recommend keeping Dr. G's or interceptor on you.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update from OP here. Although upon inspection I did not see any red bugs, I went ahead and dipped a second time today in a slightly stronger solution of bayer (25ml/2cups x15 mins). After waiting about 30 mins once back in the tank, I have yet to see any red bugs on the coral. I will update this if I find any.

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update since a lot of people seem to not update these kinds of threads.
I have concluded that 2 dips in bayer was enough to eradicate red bugs from the frags I have. One dip got rid of 99% of them. And another dip the next day at a higher concentration seems to have gotten rid of the more stubborn ones. There was a small loss of color and some slight tissue damage on the encrusting growth edge on a couple of frags after the second dip. But it seems to be rather minor.
I will update this thread again if I see any sign of them returning!

OP
OP
Trey

Trey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick update since a lot of people seem to not update these kinds of threads.
I have concluded that 2 dips in bayer was enough to eradicate red bugs from the frags I have. One dip got rid of 99% of them. And another dip the next day at a higher concentration seems to have gotten rid of the more stubborn ones. There was a small loss of color and some slight tissue damage on the encrusting growth edge on a couple of frags after the second dip. But it seems to be rather minor.
I will update this thread again if I see any sign of them returning!
image.jpg

Here’s a quick cell phone shot that shows the damage to the red planet and tricolor(?) as well as some loss of color across the board.

LOVEROCK

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Here’s a quick cell phone shot that shows the damage to the red planet and tricolor(?) as well as some loss of color across the board.
whats the sps on the right ?

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately there's a vet in my area that prescribes it for me.
Reviving an old thread and hoping for some input on Interceptor.

Real water volume 250G
One large dog pill, pulverized and mixed in 1 cup hot RODI
Applied 1pm yesterday

Around 2pm today:
- cleaner shrimp alive, maybe slow
- large amphipods alive post KCl dip. No small pods noted in 4 samples.
- all coral & fish unchanged

Do I let it run or start WC and carbon?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back