Red buscuit starfish - reef safe?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dave-T
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
I just got one. Fed him a small piece of frozen scallop by placing it close to his mouth on an outstretched arm (while he was on the glass). He slowly moved to cover it and ate it.

Will post an update if he does well in the future.
 
I got an African Red biscuit starfish, Goniaster tessellatus about 8 months ago. It seems to be happy and I spot feed it a big flake of cool mysis weekly. The only foul play I have observed it that snacks on my GSP every now and then. Doesnt bother any zoas, sinularia, lps, or sps. Anyone else ever seen one eat GSP?
 

Attachments

  • 20251008_133811.jpg
    20251008_133811.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 49
I’ve never had any luck with them. They die within a few days in my tank. My wife forbid me to try again, but they are definitely stunning.
 
I think it would be more important to ask about their average life span in captivity instead of their tendency to eat corals (which appears to vary on a case-by-case basis).
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new