Red coris & Melanurus wrasse

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased an adult red coris today acclimated got prepared to put into the DT my melanurus flashed up checked him out swam around him and would bolt to him a couple times to looks like peck at him. I just turned out the lights now the red coris is out and about swimming around while the melanurus is tucked in the sand. Should I expect this to go on for a couple days for things to settle down or what? These are the only two wrasses in my 80g

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of the red corris?

It may calm down, but probably won't.

If you could catch the melanarus, and use an acclimation box for a few days, it might help.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures of the red corris?

It may calm down, but probably won't.

If you could catch the melanarus, and use an acclimation box for a few days, it might help.
C649A7C4-E7B2-4419-9545-C69ECE1B7644.jpeg

Looking exactly like this didn’t catch a photo of him yet

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just purchased an adult red coris today acclimated got prepared to put into the DT my melanurus flashed up checked him out swam around him and would bolt to him a couple times to looks like peck at him. I just turned out the lights now the red coris is out and about swimming around while the melanurus is tucked in the sand. Should I expect this to go on for a couple days for things to settle down or what? These are the only two wrasses in my 80g
I currently have both in a 120g, no issues.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup thats an adult, if your looks like that without it's spots, and white stripes.

More then likely you have 2 adults bickering.

I ened up rehoming my red corris because they tend to get mean as they get older.
Hm well
So for the coris is the one getting picked on right now but it hadn’t even been a day so I’ll see what happens

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol not looking forward to it I’m really hoping they will squabble and get it over w
Like everyone else said, I'd give it a try for a few days, then separate as needed. My melanurus will occasionally flash the red coris when they are both picking at the same spot, but thats it.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like everyone else said, I'd give it a try for a few days, then separate as needed. My melanurus will occasionally flash the red coris when they are both picking at the same spot, but thats it.
Yeah I didn’t really give a chance to the red coris to scope out the new area I just plopped him in lights on and all so he had no idea who where his new tank mates but I did turn the lights off and I guess he’s swimming around while the mal is burrowed

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So just in case I’ve already caught the melanurus wrasse and got him in the acclimation box. Do I leave my lights off or should I turn them back on ???

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This behavior will decrease as time goes along but as soon as 48 hours.
Do Know that the coris as beautiful as they are will will flip your coral and frag plugs in search of food/worms and irritate you.

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This behavior will decrease as time goes along but as soon as 48 hours.
Do Know that the coris as beautiful as they are will will flip your coral and frag plugs in search of food/worms and irritate you.
My melanurus already does that with my smaller acans. But I feed at least once a day

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guess the red coris buried himself returned lights to normal schedule. Have the melanurus in the acclimation box with SAND just laying on top of it right now lol. Will return to DT in 48 hours and see what goes. Thanks everyone for the feed back and hope this works out the red coris is beautiful and will get better pictures

OP
OP
TxReefer21

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The coris wrasse is still hiding out. Haven’t seen him yet! Crazy. I do have a huge population of pods in my tank so maybe he comes out at night not 100% sure I did house the melanuras in a acclimation box but jumped out back into the DP and he’s out smarted me on trying to catch him again so I guess the waiting game will continue

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back