Red Dragon® X 85 Watt - is this a pressure pump ?

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I bought my 100W rd3, it’s the impeller that determines whether it is the “pressure” or “flow” version. So i think your 85W can be either, depending on whatever impeller it comes with.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at Royal Exclusiv' website, the X 85 is NOT available in Pressure or flow versions like the Speedy lines. This would lead me to conclude it is not a "Pressure pump" however it does have a max head height of 18 Ft.

The X Line to me looks to be a closer comparison to the Vectra M2s and the Varios lines.

@David Cher what type of installation are you looking to achieve?

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
when I bought my 100W rd3, it’s the impeller that determines whether it is the “pressure” or “flow” version. So i think your 85W can be either, depending on whatever impeller it comes with.
does it mean if the impeller is tantium is a pressure pump?

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at Royal Exclusiv' website, the X 85 is NOT available in Pressure or flow versions like the Speedy lines. This would lead me to conclude it is not a "Pressure pump" however it does have a max head height of 18 Ft.

The X Line to me looks to be a closer comparison to the Vectra M2s and the Varios lines.

@David Cher what type of installation are you looking to achieve?
this is what i am trying to archive :
i have a non return valve and about 10 x 90 degrees elbow and it is sharing 2 output using 1 pump and it is on a height of 5ft

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it mean if the impeller is tantium is a pressure pump?

No. The head on the flow pump vs the pressure pump of the RD3 is different, the angle of the blades and design is different.
The impeller itself is nothing to do with it, just the head.

The RD X pumps are the cheaper end of the market, and aren't actually made by RE. They're chinese, but built specifically for RE to a decent quality.

All other pumps are German made by RE themselves, but this comes at a cost, and they needed a cheaper option for small equipment, like skimmers etc. Personally I wouldn't use an RD X as a return pump, but thats just me.

OP
OP
D

David Cher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. The head on the flow pump vs the pressure pump of the RD3 is different, the angle of the blades and design is different.
The impeller itself is nothing to do with it, just the head.

The RD X pumps are the cheaper end of the market, and aren't actually made by RE. They're chinese, but built specifically for RE to a decent quality.

All other pumps are German made by RE themselves, but this comes at a cost, and they needed a cheaper option for small equipment, like skimmers etc. Personally I wouldn't use an RD X as a return pump, but thats just me.
thanks for replying, i was torn between that and

Red Dragon® 3 Speedy HIGHPRESSURE 100 Watt as there is price difference and i do not want to go to Abyzz​

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back