Red fire fish goes from healthy and eating, to dead over night?

Fishbike13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title states, i came home from work yesterday to find my red firefish stuck to the filter intake (dead) the day before, he was out and about and eating as normal. No signs of ich ever, no deformations or discolourations that ive ever seen since owning him.

Tank details:
15g tank, ac70 (ac50 impeller) filter with seachem matrix media and purigen, and a fluval sea powerhead.
Cycled since may (~7 months)

Inhabitants:
1 firefish (the dead one in question)
1 cleaner shrimp
small cleanup screw consisting of nessarius snails, 3 astrias, and a handful of dwarf ceriths

Corals:
2 red mushrooms, and 1 frogspawn colony. (both have been in tank for around 2 weeks)

Water parameters:
At time of discovery: salinity-1.026 , ammonia- .5ppm, nitrates-undetectable
24 hrs later: salinity- 1.026, ammonia-0ppm, nitrates- undetectable.

any ideas on what could have done it? He was quarantined before adding to the tank back in june, medicated with cupramine and observed for 6 weeks.
Could the corals have released some sort of toxin that only affected the fish? could he have just been old? TIA

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of cover do you have. They are jumpers. I wonder if it got injured trying to jump

OP
OP
Fishbike13

Fishbike13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of cover do you have. They are jumpers. I wonder if it got injured trying to jump
I have a glass lid that covers the entire tank except for maybe the last inch to allow clearance for the hob filter. Not disagreeing with you but i didnt see any cuts on his body, unless he knocked himself out?
20191226_125654.jpg

I just want to make sure theres no disease that will wipe out anything else i add to the tank. Though the cleaner shrimp seems happy as can be still

OP
OP
Fishbike13

Fishbike13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a picture of him right after i removed him from the tank if any trained eyes can see a problem that i cant. Unsure of how long before he died but it was less than 18 hrs.

french fry dead1.jpg

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had much success with firefish. Much like yours they were fine and eating for a week+, then dead. Kinda has me turned against them for future additions.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire fish are easily spooked.
While not a diagnosis, it would not be unheard of for say a cat to tap on the glass and the fire fish darts for his hole, slams a rock and breaks his back.

OP
OP
Fishbike13

Fishbike13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fire fish are easily spooked.
While not a diagnosis, it would not be unheard of for say a cat to tap on the glass and the fire fish darts for his hole, slams a rock and breaks his back.
Ah. My only other pet is a bearded dragon in an enclosure on the other side of the house, but it may have been something else. Maybe headlights flashing the window, the shrimp picking at him in the dark etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back