Red flat worms

N.C Mike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, quick question her, I recently got some corals from a friend, and they came with a added bonus. Red flat worms. What are some ways you guys have had luck with on getting rid of these things. I have heard that wrasse is a good way. Also chemicals which I'd like to stay away from if possible but would do as a last result. I have a 180 plus 60 sump lots of bubble tips an softies an a few others. Thanks for any insight on this problem.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, quick question her, I recently got some corals from a friend, and they came with a added bonus. Red flat worms. What are some ways you guys have had luck with on getting rid of these things. I have heard that wrasse is a good way. Also chemicals which I'd like to stay away from if possible but would do as a last result. I have a 180 plus 60 sump lots of bubble tips an softies an a few others. Thanks for any insight on this problem.
Pics for positive I.d. would be helpful. If red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 87 75.7%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back