Red legged hermits.

Brandonsegula

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 7, 2017
Messages
624
Reaction score
176
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are red legged hermits reef safe? I have Scarlett's and blue legged hermits. Just wanna know if normal red legged hermits will be okay to add
 
I always thought they were one and the same...

From Live Aquaria:

Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab:
"Also known as the Red Reef or Red Legged Hermit Crab, the Scarlet Reef Hermit Crab is named for its bright red legs, which are contrasted by their yellow face. Native to the reef faces and coral rubble of the Caribbean and Western Atlantic, these active scavengers can consume large amounts of animal matter and algae. Despite their large appetites and constant feeding habits, the Scarlet Reef only grows to an adult size of 1-1/2" in length."
 
Not the same. Most sites sell red leg hermits for about $0.95 and scarlet leg hermits for about $3 or $4. Scarlets have the yellow face and red legs do not.
 
Not the same. Most sites sell red leg hermits for about $0.95 and scarlet leg hermits for about $3 or $4. Scarlets have the yellow face and red legs do not.

That's what I thought. Are red legged hermits safe and are they good?
 
That's what I thought. Are red legged hermits safe and are they good?
Some will say that any crab can nip at corals but I've never seen it. I really like the scarlet hermit. The legs are such a bright red as opposed to the red leg hermit which has a duller darker red.
 
I have both, definitely different. The scarlets are smaller. I like a bunch of different types of hermits. The worst thing they do is walk over my zoas causing them to close up.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new