Red Montipora capricornis

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2015
Messages
5,851
Reaction score
9,613
Location
Gulf Breeze, Florida
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a red Monti for about a year. Over the last year, it has more than doubled in diameter. The new growth is a brilliant red, as it should be, but the portion of the original colony is a more subdued purple-reddish color. I was worried about bleaching, but it's been this way for several months now. I even reduced lighting intensity for several weeks as a precaution, but I would've thought if it was going to bleach, it would've done it by now.

Any idea what could be going on? All water parameters are normal, and I have 300-400 ppm potassium when I last tested a week and a half ago.

Temp 76-77°F
SG 1.024
pH 7.9-8.1
NO3 1.5-2 ppm
PO4 0.04 ppm
Ca 425-440 ppm
Mg 1360-1400 ppm
dKH 9.5-10.9
Fe 0 (can't ever seem to register iron on the test no matter what I do)
I2 0.06 ppm
K 300-400 ppm
 
Has the cap grown or has anything else grown in such a way that the flow to the discolored area has been decreased?
 
tmp_DSC_05782140387797.JPG

Sorry I don't have a more zoomed picture...the Monti is in the center back.
 
I went ahead and bumped the flow up by repositioning the RW-4 I had pointed at that coral. Pretty sure that can't hurt :)
 
Depending on the specific coral, I believe that this can be just part of nomal aging. I started a couple of frags about a year and a half ago and the older parts also darken. I don't think that flow is an issue as mine are in 2 different parts of my tank, no changes in flow or lighting and they both do this.

20170112_165439.jpg


20170112_165425.jpg
 
Depending on the specific coral, I believe that this can be just part of nomal aging. I started a couple of frags about a year and a half ago and the older parts also darken. I don't think that flow is an issue as mine are in 2 different parts of my tank, no changes in flow or lighting and they both do this.
Thanks. I changed the flow and figured that can't hurt anything, so we'll see :)
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new