ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1423182852.612495.jpg
i have just noticed these red spots on my tang. Can anyone help

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be a cut/bruise or the beginnings of hemorrhagic septicemia. The problem is this disease comes in both a viral (non-treatable) and bacterial (treatable with antibiotics) form. Or sometimes antibiotics are not required, and the fish's natural immune system can fight it off.

My recommendation would be to start soaking his fish food with vitamin supplements (ex. Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem) to give the immune system a boost. But if the red streaks start to spread, be prepared to QT & treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Furan-2 or Kanaplex.

Btw; Is this a new fish? If so, did you QT?

Last edited:
OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had him for 2 months and after i fed him they went away

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be a cut/bruise or the beginnings of hemorrhagic septicemia. The problem is this disease comes in both a viral (non-treatable) and bacterial (treatable with antibiotics) form. Or sometimes antibiotics are not required, and the fish's natural immune system can fight it off.

My recommendation would be to start soaking his fish food with vitamin supplements (ex. Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem) to give the immune system a boost. But if the red streaks start to spread, be prepared to QT & treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as Furan-2 or Kanaplex.

Btw; Is this a new fish? If so, did you QT?

So today ive noticed that they where not present all of today. Once i fed the appeared but then once he was done eating they went away

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today ive noticed that they where not present all of today. Once i fed the appeared but then once he was done eating they went away

I would test all of your water parameters, especially pH and ammonia. I don't think that's the source of the problem, but it would be prudent to remove water quality issues as a possible cause.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would test all of your water parameters, especially pH and ammonia. I don't think that's the source of the problem, but it would be prudent to remove water quality issues as a possible cause.

Okay i did a water change yesterday. And tested ph yesterday and it was 8.3. Ill test my ammonia now and let you know

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My parameters.

Ammonia .00
Nitrite .00
Nitrate .00
Ph 8.4

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters.

Ammonia .00
Nitrite .00
Nitrate .00
Ph 8.4

Doesn't seem like an environmental problem then. I would just keep an eye on it for now. If it worsens you may need to pull & QT.

One last thing I thought of... this YT doesn't sleep near any anemones or stinging corals by any chance?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um he is usually be my torch or open brain

Sweeper might be getting him. I know a guy who lost a stubborn naso that kept sleeping in close proximity to a torch. The fish kept getting stung every night, and my guess is the poison finally killed him.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweeper might be getting him. I know a guy who lost a stubborn naso that kept sleeping in close proximity to a torch. The fish kept getting stung every night, and my guess is the poison finally killed him.

Okay yeah he has moved. Ill keep an eye on him

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't seem like an environmental problem then. I would just keep an eye on it for now. If it worsens you may need to pull & QT.

One last thing I thought of... this YT doesn't sleep near any anemones or stinging corals by any chance?

It seems to show up during feeding time.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems to show up during feeding time.

Shot in the dark at this point... I wonder if your fish is having some sort of allergic reaction to whatever you're feeding. I've never seen a fish turn red from "excitement" during feeding time.

OP
OP
fishmaster818

fishmaster818

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shot in the dark at this point... I wonder if your fish is having some sort of allergic reaction to whatever you're feeding. I've never seen a fish turn red from "excitement" during feeding time.

It shows up when i feed then once he is done eating it goes away

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 61 43.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 48.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.5%
Back