Red Ora Goniopora - Suggestions on flow, lighting, feeding, parameters?

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update #3.

Seems to be much happier. Rununing Aquavitro Fuel once a week (put right into flow of tank), and spot feeding with Reef Roids once a week.

20170507_160341.jpg

JDMosher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't my thread but I'm having the same issue with my ora goni. I have a 150gallon tank, it was open for a few months and feeding reefroids. A bristle worm stung the side of it and it retracted. It has now been 2 months since it has come out. It is still very pink and still alive but I cant coax it back out. I have 4 marrs 165 watt full spectrum at 20% on for 8 hours. Any suggestions?

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this isn't my thread but I'm having the same issue with my ora goni. I have a 150gallon tank, it was open for a few months and feeding reefroids. A bristle worm stung the side of it and it retracted. It has now been 2 months since it has come out. It is still very pink and still alive but I cant coax it back out. I have 4 marrs 165 watt full spectrum at 20% on for 8 hours. Any suggestions?
Same issue with mine it is still alive and barely opens at night but is never open during the day. Still bright pink but has not opened in months

OP
OP
Doostur

Doostur

I'm a Derpus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same issue with mine it is still alive and barely opens at night but is never open during the day. Still bright pink but has not opened in months

Trust me... its more than likely flow and/or lighting. If its happy it will open!

Lighting - 220-250 par using Seneye par reader. I have Reef Breeders Photon 32-V2

flow - medium low

alk - 9
cal - 420
mag - 1430
Salt - 1.024/25
Temp - 77.5-78.5

I also no longer spot feed any of my corals. I just do a 33% water change every week.

*** For me it was lighting. Not only was my par off, but my color spectrum percentages were not good. You can have a par level of 200 a million different ways but no use if the colors aren't usable by your corals. My lights are on from 8 am, max intensity at noon through 3 PM then gradually to a sunset simulation before moon lighting from 8 PM till midnight. Lights are off from midnight to 7 am.

Flow should be enough to give them a nice and easy swaying back and fourth. My 45g has 2 MP10s set at 0%. My pump return helps with flow along front. I added a Hydor Koralia Nano for help along rear. I found it I turned up my MP10s to make guys on the far side happy, the closer guys were getting ticked off.

Hang in there. It seems frustrating and a giant waste of money. But once you get it... it'll all come together. Took me a solid 6-8 months of experimenting before my tank took off.

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%

Back